This Avocado and Egg Sandwich is easy to make and totally delicious! The perfect brunch ready and waiting.
Avocado egg sandwich is an absolute classic, and there’s good reason for that. There’s a few different ways to make it, some do an avocado egg salad style sandwich, others use boiled egg and avocado slices. Here we’re going for perfectly fried eggs with some heavenly smashed avocado (the best way). Follow me…
Sure, you could just slice up the avocado for this sandwich, but there’s way too much you can do with avocado to enhance its gorgeous flavour. So today we’re smashing it! Here’s what you’ll need:
Simple Smashed Avocado Ingredients
- Avocados – Ripe but not bruised.
- Chives – These add a gorgeous punch of flavour. They also go perfectly with egg too!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This gives the smashed avo a nice silky texture. It also offers a nice gentle background flavour.
- Lemon Juice – This adds a vibrant flavour to the avocado and helps prevent it from browning.
- Salt & Pepper – Season your avocados and season well!
That’s it! The extra goodies really do transform the avocado and make it the star of the show, so I highly recommend adding them. When it comes to smashing the avo I recommend leaving a few lumps and bumps, just for some added texture. Don’t mash it into oblivion.
Process shots: add ingredients to bowl (photo 1), lightly smash until combined (photo 2).
Perfect Fried Eggs
Whilst I appreciate frying eggs is a fairly straight forward process, over the years I have picked up a few tips and tricks which are game changers when frying eggs.
Tips for frying eggs
- Fresh Eggs – Fresher eggs will help the egg white stay compact as they fry. You’ll notice older eggs spill out much further into the pan.
- Room Temp – Not a deal breaker, but will help them cook more evenly.
- Season – Don’t forget to season the eggs! I do this a couple of minutes before they’re cooked.
Let there be butter!
Frying your eggs in butter serves a couple of purposes. First is you can baste the eggs to help the tops cook. This will not only ensure they cook evenly, but will also wrap them in gorgeous buttery goodness. Second is the eggs gain a nice rich flavour from the butter which olive oil can’t offer!
Process shots: add butter to pan (photo 1), allow to melt (photo 2), crack in eggs (photo 3), baste in butter then season (photo 4).
Once you’ve cooked the eggs, remove them from the pan and leave all that buttery goodness. You can use this to toast/fry the bread!
What bread to use?
You’ll want a sturdy bread like a sourdough, white bloomer or some sort of Artisan Bread, just to contain all the soft fillings. Here I used a sesame crusted bread which works amazingly!
Process shots: add bread to leftover butter (photo 1), fry both sides until golden (photo 2).
Avocado Egg Sandwich
Time to stack! For filming this I actually used 2 eggs per sandwich, just cause I was feeling OTT. But 1 works just fine.
No egg avocado sandwich is complete without a few lashings of hot sauce. This adds a final blast of flavour a cuts through the richness of the yolk/buttery eggs. Even if you’re not good with spice I highly recommend even just a few drops.
What else could I add to this sandwich?
I find this to be perfect as it is, but if you want to take things further then chuck in any other breakfast style items like bacon, sausage, hash browns, tomato etc.
Process shots: add toast to chopping board (photo 1), add smashed avo (photo 2), add egg (photo 3), optionally add a second egg (photo 4), drizzle with hot sauce (photo 5), add second slice of toast (photo 6).
What to serve with an Avocado Egg Sandwich?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love a Cheese and Onion flavour here. Use something sturdy to scoop up the runny yolk!
- Side Recommendation: Has be a batch of Hash Brown Patties!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Avocado Egg Sandwich shall we?!
How to make an Avocado Egg Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Avocado Egg Sandwich
- Large Pan & Spatula/Turner (for fried eggs)
- Medium Sized Bowl (for smashed avo)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board (for chives/bread)
- 6 small-medium slices of Bread (here I use a sesame white bloomer)
- 3 - 6 Eggs (1-2 per sandwich)
- 2 medium Avocados, peeled, pitted & roughly diced (ripe but not bruised)
- 1 tbsp Butter, or as needed
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- 1/2 tbsp EACH: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lemon Juice
- Hot Sauce, to serve
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- In a medium sized bowl add diced avocado alongside chives, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper to taste. Smash with a fork until somewhat smooth with a few lumps here and there for some texture. Place to one side.
- In a large pan melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Carefully and close to the pan, crack in three eggs and begin basting the egg whites with the butter. This will not only help cook the tops of the eggs, but also wrap them in all the gorgeous buttery goodness. Don't baste the yolk, you want that runny. Season with salt and pepper towards the end of cooking.
- Once all of the white on both eggs are completely opaque, remove from pan. If you want 2 eggs per sandwich crack in 3 more eggs now, add a dash more butter if you need to for basting. Lay bread in the leftover butter and toast both sides until golden for a couple of minutes.
- Stack sandwich with toast, smashed avo, egg(s), then a good drizzling of hot sauce. Finish with the second slice of toast and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For another delicious fried egg sandwich recipe check out my Ultimate Fried Egg Sandwich!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
If you loved this Avocado Egg Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!