This Grilled Ham and Cheese is far from boring. Here I’ll show you a few easy tricks to help take your ham sandwich to new heights!
This is one of the easiest grilled cheese sandwiches you’ll ever make, and it’s so darn tasty! Perfect for a quick no-fuss lunch. Follow me…
Honey Mustard Mayo
If I’m ever having a grilled ham and cheese that’s purely just cheese and ham, I always find myself craving something a little extra. I find the texture ever-so-slightly dry and the flavour needing a lift. By whipping a quick concoction of mayo, dijon and honey you solve both the issues. Ham is renowned for going well with both honey and mustard, and the mayo brings everything together in a neat little creamy sauce.
I actually usually make this in bulk because it’s a great all purpose sandwich sauce. You can also adjust the quantities slightly to your taste (i.e more mustard for a kick of heat).
Process shots: add mayo to small pot (photo 1), add mayo and mustard (photo 2), stir to combine (photo 3).
Ham Grilled Cheese
Once you’ve got your sauce ready it’s all plain sailing from here.
What Bread to use?
If you can find a poppy seeded loaf then go for that. But any sturdy kind of loaf like a Sourdough or White Bloomer works great!
What Ham to use?
You can use any type of ham to be honest! Peppered ham works nicely, as does honey glazed ham if you want it extra sweet. You can even use leftover shaved ham from your roast dinner!
What cheese goes best with ham?
I love a 50/50 combo of Cheddar and Swiss. The Swiss is a classic option with ham and the cheddar adds a good punch of flavour.
What else could I add to this sandwich?
Honestly I’d say it’s perfect as it is. In the past I have added pickles though which work well. You could also add tomato if you fancy!
Process shots: butter bread (photo 1), flip (photo 2), add cheddar (photo 3), add ham (photo 4), drizzle honey mustard mayo (photo 5), add Swiss (photo 6), add buttered bread (photo 7), fry both sides (photo 8).
Serving a Ham Grilled Cheese
Once both sides are golden and toasty you’re good to go. Just slice in half and enjoy!
What goes with grilled ham cheese?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love a Salt and Vinegar flavour here.
- Side Recommendation: Some Coleslaw works PERFECTLY here!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this ham grilled cheese shall we?
How to make a Ham Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Ham Grilled Cheese
- Small Pot (for honey mustard mayo)
- Large Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Bread Knife
- In a small pot combine 1 tbsp mayo with 1 tsp dijon mustard and 1 tsp honey. Place to one side.
- In a pan with the heat OFF add two slices of bread. Spread with butter then flip over so they're butter side down. Add a slice of cheddar to each, then top with 2 slices of ham each. I recommend folding the ham just to give the sandwich a bit of height/texture (see video for context).
- Drizzle over honey mustard mayo then top with Swiss cheese. Finish with a slice of bread and spread with butter. Turn heat to a medium and fry both sides until golden with the cheese nice and gooey. Remove and repeat with the second two sandwiches. Enjoy!
If you loved this Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!