There’s nothing more delicious than a classic ham sandwich, and here I’ll show you exactly how I like mine!
There are so many different ways you can make a ham sandwich, with so many different filling combinations. Admittedly, for the longest time, I’d make a ham sandwich solely using what I knocking about in the fridge. However, since making it this way, it’s now something I go out of my way to make. Yes, it’s that good and yes, I’m blowing my own trumpet 😛 Follow me…
How to make the best ham sandwich
Alrighty, no beating around the bush, here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread – I recommend seeded bread for maximum flavour and some added texture too.
- Honey Mustard Mayo – Wondering what condiment goes on a ham sandwich? Some people do mayo, some do mustard, but I like mixing them both and adding a dash of honey too!
- Red Onion – Very thinly sliced. This adds a nice crunch and a punch of flavour.
- Tomato – Some nice juicy tomatoes to prevent a dry sandwich.
- Cheese – Here I use a slice of smoked cheddar (Applewood).
- Ham – Good quality deli-style ham. I use two large slices, just to keep it the star of the show!
- Watercress – This goes perfectly with pork. I have used rocket/arugula in the past though which works well too.
- Seasoning – A good pinch of salt for the tomatoes, and a pinch of black pepper on the ham.
Process shots: slice bread (photo 1), mix honey mustard mayo and spread on bread (photo 2), add onion (photo 3), pat tomatoes dry, then add to sandwich and season with salt (photo 4), add cheese (photo 5), fold in ham and season with black pepper (photo 6), add watercress (photo 7), add bread with more honey mustard mayo (photo 8).
Ham Sandwich FAQ
Can I use a different kind of cheese?
I love smoked cheese because it pairs with the ham so beautifully. If you don’t have smoked cheese then your next best bet is a mature cheddar. If you don’t have slices then you can grate it. In all cases, I wouldn’t go overboard with the cheese – keep the ham the star of the show and don’t overpower it.
What kind of ham to use?
I usually grab some big deli-style slices and use that. I also usually go for unflavoured (i.e. not honey-roasted or peppercorn crusted) just because you’ve already got the extra flavourings in the sandwich. If you had some leftover roast ham in the fridge that’d work great too!
How do I prevent this sandwich turning soggy?
The risk of sog mainly comes from the tomatoes. To counteract this you’ll want to pat the tomatoes will paper towels before you add them to the sandwich, just to soak up some of the unwanted moisture. Because they’re seasoned with salt, you’ll want to eat the sandwich right away, otherwise, the salt will begin drawing out water from the tomatoes and turn the sandwich soggy.
Can I make this sandwich ahead of time?
This is best made fresh! As I mentioned above, the longer it sits, the soggier it gets. You could get away with making it a little ahead of time and tightly covering in the fridge, but just don’t salt the tomatoes!
Serving a Ham Sandwich
I recommend slicing in half horizontally, as opposed to diagonally. The filling is more like to stay intact that way. This sandwich is awesome for lunch as it is, or with some ready salted crisps!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this ham sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Ham Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Epic Ham Sandwich (so easy!)
- Small Pot (for honey mustard mayo)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board (for tomatoes/onion)
- Paper Towels (to pat tomatoes)
- Bread Knife
- 2 slices of Seeded Bread
- 2 large slices of Good Quality Ham
- 1 Red Onion, sliced into very thin rounds (3-4 rounds in the sandwich, don't use all the onion)
- 1 Tomato, sliced & patted with paper towels to soak up some moisture
- 1 square slice of Smoked Cheese (see notes)
- small handful of Watercress (can sub rocket/arugula if you'd prefer)
- 1/2 tbsp EACH: Dijon Mustard, Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Honey
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a small pot combine 1/2 tbsp mayo and Dijon mustard with 1 tsp honey.
- Spread over one side of each slice of bread. Top one of those slices with onion, followed by tomato with a pinch of salt.
- Top tomato with cheese, then fold in the ham and sprinkle over a pinch of black pepper. Top with watercress, then add the second slice of bread sauce-side-down.
- Slice in half and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Ham Sandwich Ideas
If you loved this Ham Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!