Looking for a tasty way to eat crumpets? Look no further than these easy and delicious crumpet sandwiches!
I don’t know about you, but my childhood consisted almost solely of toasted crumpets with a truck load of butter. You seriously can’t beat it. Well, that’s what I thought until now. Follow me…
Because the only thing better than one crumpet is two, and the only thing better than two crumpets is ham and melted cheese wedged between them! Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need for this simple recipe:
- Crumpets – Any variety of store bought crumpets will do the trick.
- Ham – This is optional, you could sub bacon, or if you’re veggie just leave it out.
- Cheese – Most melty cheeses will work well. Here I’m using Cheddar and Swiss cheese.
- Butter – To fry the sandwich. Plus crumpets without butter is criminal!
Making Crumpet Sandwiches
You’re essentially making a grilled cheese, but with crumpets. Yes, heaven really is a place on earth.
The main thing to consider is making sure the rough side is facing the inside, and the flat side is on the outside. Reason being the rough side absorbs a lot of butter, so if it were on the outside you’d be covered in butter. Also the flat side crisps up much better so it gives you a nice sturdy casing to hold the sandwich.
Process shots: add crumpets to pan rough side up with heat off (photo 1), spread with butter (photo 2), flip and fry (photo 3), flip back over two of them (photo 4), add cheese (photo 5), add ham (photo 6), add crumpet flat side up (photo 7), fry both sides until golden with cheese melted (photo 8).
Can I make these ahead of time?
They’re best served fresh, but you can make, store then reheat. More on that in the recipe card notes below.
What else could I add to these sandwiches?
They’re awesome as they are, but I have added marmite in the past which worked amazingly (if you love marmite).
Serving Crumpet Sandwiches
These are perfect as they are, but I have been known to add a fried egg on top in the past to create a kind of croque madame! I usually serve for brunch, so if you wanted to add a Side I’d go with Hash Browns.
For more ham and cheese deliciousness check out my Ham and Cheese Grilled Cheese and Croque Monsieur!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these crumpet sandwiches shall we?!
How to make Crumpet Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheesy Ham Crumpet Sandwiches
- Non-Stick Pan
- Plastic Spatula/Turner
- 4 Crumpets
- 2 large or 4 small slices of Ham
- 2 square slices of Cheddar
- 2 square slices of Swiss Cheese
- Butter, as needed
- Place 4 crumpets in a pan rough side up with the heat OFF. Spread each of them with a generous spread of butter, then flip all of them over so they're butter-side-down.
- Turn heat to medium-high and fry for 2mins, or until golden. Lower heat to low-medium and flip over two of them. On top of those two, add cheese and ham, then add the other crumpets on top smooth side up.
- Spread with a thin layer of butter (if there's already a lot of butter melted in the pan you won't need this), then fry both sides until crispy with the cheese fully melted.
- Serve up and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Crumpet Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Leave a Reply