English muffins loaded with the easiest sausage patty you’ll ever make, then stuffed with the ultimate breakfast ingredients. This truly is the best breakfast sandwich in the world!
Yep, I’m gonna put it out there, this is pretty hard to beat! With a million a one different breakfast sandwich recipes and combinations, I thought it was time to throw my hat in the ring. Follow me…
The BEST Breakfast Sandwich
A breakfast sandwich can be as simple as a Bacon Sandwich. But if you’re going to make a blanket statement – breakfast sandwich – you may as well go hell for leather. Here’s what you’ll need:
Breakfast Sandwich Fillings
- English Muffin – Perfect hand held size and it tastes incredible with the breast fillings. Toasted of course.
- Sausage Patty – I’ll show you how to make this in a sec, it truly couldn’t be easier!
- Cheese – To melt on top of the patty. I usually go for American style cheese, it gives McDonald’s vibes.
- Tomato Chutney – I of course recommend my homemade chutney, but you can get this at most stores.
- Smashed Avo – Is a breakfast sandwich even a breakfast sandwich without avocado!? My bank account says yes, my heart says no.
- Egg – Fried and sunny side up – runny yolk is a must!
Of course you can switch a few things up i.e use cheddar, use a roll or bread, make scrambled egg etc. BUT, my hat is in the ring for the above ingredients and only the above reasons, so switch up at your own risk 😂
Breakfast Sausage Patty
The heart and soul of the burger, and quite frankly it couldn’t be easier to make. All you’ll need to do is grab some pork sausages, squeeze out the meat from the skins and form two patties.
What Sausage to use?
If you’re in the UK just grab some regular, non-flavoured pork sausages. Cumberlands work great. If you’re in the US I believe you’re looking for breakfast sausage.
Can I use Ground Sausage?
Yep! Just use the same weight as four sausages (approx 9oz/250g). Also make sure you’re not using ground pork. Only sausage meat is suitable here as it’s pre-seasoned, ground pork will come out bland.
Once you’ve formed the patties just give them a heavy seasoning and you’re good to go!
How to make a Breakfast Sandwich
The secret to this sandwich being so delicious is the fact that most of it is cooked in the same pan. From the bacon right through to toasting the muffins, all that gorgeous flavour that’s released is used at each stage. Sharing is caring and all!
Bacon – low ‘n’ slow!
You’ll kick everything off with the bacon. Here you’ll want to fry it low and slow to render out its fat. This will not only give you a base to fry the patty, but will also ensure the bacon goes nice and crispy.
Baste the eggs
Once the patty has fried you’ll have a good collection of flavour in the pan – perfect for frying eggs! A lot of fried egg recipes call for a lid to be put on to ensure the tops cook, but I recommend basting the eggs in the leftover oil. This will not only cook the egg white on top, but also wrap the eggs in gorgeous flavour.
Process shots: add bacon to pan (photo 1), fry until crispy (photo 2), remove and leave fat (photo 3), add sausage patties and fry (photo 4), flip and add cheese (photo 5), remove and add butter to deglaze pan (photo 6), crack in eggs and cook (photo 7) toast muffins (photo 8).
Serving a Breakfast Sandwich
From there it’s just a case of stacking your masterpiece! Oh and grab some kitchen towel.. It may be pretty, but it ain’t so pretty to eat.
What to serve with a Breakfast Sandwich?
And there we have it! All my top tips for the perfect breakfast sandwich. Let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?!
How to make a Breakfast Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
The BEST Breakfast Sandwich
- Large Pan & Turner/Spatula
- Small Bowl & Fork (for smashed avo)
- Chopping Board
- In a small bowl roughly smashed your avocado with a good pinch of salt and pepper. If you have them on hand, add a gentle squeeze of lemon juice and a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Takes the smashed avo up a notch, not a deal breaker though.
- Squeeze out the meat from 4 sausages, then form two burger patties with your hands. Season the tops with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large pan over low-medium heat add your bacon. Cook low and slow to render out as much fat as possible. Once crispy, remove from pan and leave any fat in the pan.
- Turn heat up to a medium, add sausage patties seasoned-side-down, then season the other side. Fry until nice and golden on the bottom then flip. Add cheese slice on top and continue frying until nicely browned on the other side and piping hot through the centre. Remove from pan.
- Melt in a tsp of butter and scrape off any flavour stuck in the pan. Crack in two eggs and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Baste the whites on the top for a couple of minutes until all the white is opaque, with the yolk still runny. Remove eggs.
- Place your muffin halves in all the leftover flavour/oil and toast until golden.
- Stack in the following order: bottom muffin half, tomato chutney, bacon, sausage patty, smashed avo, egg, top muffin half. Enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Breakfast Sandwich Recipes
If you loved this Breakfast Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!