Here I give you some simple tips and tricks to creating the most delicious fried egg sandwich imaginable!
I know, how hard can a fried egg sandwich really be?! I mean it is horrendously simple, BUT, there are a few opportunities to take this sandwich through the roof. Ready to make a killer fried egg sandwich? Follow me…
How to make the perfect Fried Egg
All good fried egg sandwiches start with the perfect fried egg, and all perfect fried eggs start with bacon fat. Hey, I don’t make the rules! Plus a fried egg sandwich without bacon is upsetting.
Low ‘n’ Slow
The best way to cook bacon for this recipe is low and slow because you want to render out as much of the fat as possible. This will not only give a great base to begin frying the eggs, but it’ll also carry over that gorgeous flavour into the eggs.
Best egg to make a fried egg?
Alright, bacon grease in the pan, let’s talk eggs. Essentially you’re looking for two things. First is that the egg is as fresh as possible. This will keep the egg white more compact when you crack it into the pan. Older eggs will go thin and spill across the pan. Second is ensure it’s at room temp. Not a deal breaker, but I find it helps the egg cook more evenly.
Baste in butter!
Once you’ve cracked the eggs into the pan add in a knob of butter. Use this along with the bacon fat to baste the egg whites. This will not only ensure they cook evenly, but will also wrap them in gorgeous bacon/buttery goodness. A lot of recipes call for a lid to be put on the pan in order to cook the eggs on top, but basting them is, in my opinion, a far superior method.
I recommend cooking eggs two at a time unless your pan is huge, just to ensure you’ve got room to melt in the butter and baste. Once they’re cooked to your liking, remove and toast your bread in all the greasy goodness.
Fried Egg Sandwich
Do I have to make the eggs sunny side up?
Nope! You can have them over easy, medium or hard. I’ve added a section on that in the recipe card.
What Can I add to a fried egg sandwich?
Alongside the bacon, there’s just two ingredients I recommend adding. The first is chilli jam. This balances out the saltiness of the bacon and richness of the butter/egg yolk with a nice bit of sweetness and gentle kick of heat. You’ll find chilli jam or something similar in most supermarkets. The second is chives. Chives and eggs are a match made in heaven we’re here today to celebrate that!
How do you eat a fried egg sandwich?
- Spread chilli jam over toast bread and top with bacon.
- Add egg.
- Add second egg.
- Sprinkle with chives.
Serving a Fried Egg Sandwich
And there we have it! All my top tips for the best fried egg sandwich. If you’re looking for a little something on the side too some Cheese and onion flavour go delightfully with this beauty. If you wanna go wild then I love Hash Browns or Parmesan Fries with this to mop up the egg yolk!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this fried egg sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Fried Egg Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
The Ultimate Fried Egg Sandwich
- Large Non-Stick Pan & Tongs
- Plastic Spatula
- Bread Knife
- Spoon (to baste eggs)
- Scissors or Sharp Knife & Chopping Board (to chop chives)
- 4 medium slices of Artisan Bread (or bread of choice)
- 4 slices of Bacon
- 4 fresh Eggs, at room temp
- 2 tbsp Chilli Jam (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Add your bacon to a large pan over low-medium heat. Fry low and slow to render down the fat and cook until nice and crispy. Remove from pan and leave the fat. Raise heat to a medium.
- Carefully and close to the pan, crack in two eggs (make sure they're spaced out). Add in butter and begin basting the egg whites. This will not only help cook the tops of the eggs, but also wrap them in all the gorgeous buttery/bacony goodness. Don't baste the yolk, you want that runny. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once all of the white on both eggs are completely opaque, remove eggs from pan and crack in your second two. Repeat then remove again.
- Lay your slices of bread in the pan and toast each side in the leftover oil.
- Stack the sandwich in the following order: bread, chilli jam, bacon, fried eggs, chives and bread. Enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For another delicious Egg Sandwich Recipe check out my Egg Mayo Sandwich!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Egg Breakfast Sandwiches
- Avocado Egg Sandwich
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich
- Spam Egg Sandwich
- Shakshuka Sandwich
- Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
If you loved this Fried Egg Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!