An Egg Mayo Sandwich couldn’t be easier to make. Here I’ll show you some tips and tricks to getting the most delicious egg mayo imaginable!
I don’t know about you, but egg and cress sandwiches take me back to my childhood. In fact thinking about it, this is probably one of the first sandwiches I ever made! You know when you grow your own cress at school?! Just me?? 😂 Anywho, the point is an egg mayo sandwich is timeless. Over the years I’ve picked up a few tricks to enhancing this simple sandwich. Follow me…
At its heart, egg mayo is literally just hard-boiled eggs and mayonnaise. Which to be honest is a delicious combo. BUT, there’s a few more goodies I’d consider throwing in:
Egg Mayonnaise Ingredients
- Eggs – Hard-boiled. I’ve added a section on this in the recipe card.
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayo for a fuller flavour! Or homemade mayo of course.
- Mustard – Dijon mustard works best here. Just a small dollop adds a nice bit of heat.
- Vinegar – Traditionally you’d use Malt Vinegar, but I actually like using dill pickle juice for an extra hit of flavour. In both cases though only a few drops is needed, just to cut through the richness of the eggs and mayonnaise.
- Chives – Chives and egg are a match made in heaven!
- Bacon – This is slightly OTT and not completely necessary, but, bacon does indeed make everything better!
- Pepper – I recommend white pepper. I prefer the flavour in this context, and alongside the mustard will provide a dash of heat, which really brings the egg mayo to life.
Can I make Egg Mayo ahead of time?
Yup! Just tightly cover in the fridge. This will also give time for the flavours to marry together.
How long does Egg Mayo last?
I usually keep it for 2-3days, just use your discretion past that.
Process shots: make dressing in small bowl (photo 1), chop hard boiled eggs (photo 2), add dressing (photo 3), stir (photo 4), add bacon (photo 5), stir (photo 6).
Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich
To turn the egg mayo into a sandwich, all you need is bread, butter and cress. The butter is actually a crucial ingredient here as it helps prevent the egg mayo seeping into the bread and turning it soggy. I usually make the sandwich in one of two ways:
- Regular Egg Mayo Sandwich – Soft white bread, preferably with a nice crust (something like Tiger bread) then sliced in half.
- Egg Mayo Tea Sandwiches – Soft white bread WITHOUT crusts and quartered.
Can I make Egg Mayo Sandwiches ahead of time?
Yep! Just tightly cover in the fridge. If you’ve made the egg mayo fresh they’ll last overnight or the best part of a day.
Process shots: spread butter on bread (photo 1), top with egg mayo (photo 2), top with cress (photo 3), top with buttered bread (photo 4).
Serving Egg Mayo Sandwiches
These are perfect for lunch, but also great for a family spread or gathering.
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love Prawn Cocktail flavour with this sandwich.
- Side Recommendation: Garlic Parmesan Fries pair beautifully with this sandwich!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich shall we?!
How to make an Egg Mayo Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Small Mixing Bowl (for dressing)
- Small Pot & Lid (for boiled eggs)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Hard-Boil Eggs: Place eggs in a small pot and cover with cold water. Turn the heat to high and leave until you get a rolling boil. As soon as the eggs start dancing, turn off the heat, pop on the lid and leave on the hob for 10mins. After 10 mins, spoon eggs into a bowl of ice water (or just very cold). This will stop the cooking process. After, peel and dice eggs.
- Egg Mayo: In a small pot combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar/pickle juice, chives and 1/8 tsp white pepper. Taste test for seasoning and adjust accordingly. In a larger bowl stir the dressing through the egg, then stir through bacon.
- Sandwich: Spread one side of each of your slices of bread with butter, then add egg mayo to 4 of those. Top with cress, then finish with the second slice of bread.
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Egg Sandwich Recipes
If you loved this Egg Mayo Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!