This mushroom grilled cheese sandwich is loaded with 3 different cheeses. Better still – it couldn’t be easier to make!
Mushrooms and cheese are a match made in heaven, and we’re here today to celebrate that fact in all it’s glory. In sandwich form, obviously. Because if you haven’t had a creamy, cheesy, oozy mushroom sandwich before you truly haven’t quite lived. Follow me…
As the mushrooms are indeed the star of the show here, it’s important to bring out the best in them. Straight off the bat here’s some tips to steer you in the right direction:
Tips for Perfectly Fried Mushrooms
- Clean – If you’re mushrooms are dirty just clean them with a damp towel. Don’t rinse them, mushrooms already contain a huge amount of water so we don’t want to add to it.
- Batches – Putting too many mushrooms in the pan at once will cause them to steam instead of fry. As such, I recommend frying in two batches to give the mushrooms as much direct contact with the pan as possible.
- Caramelize – Don’t shake them about every 2 seconds. When you add them to the pan leave them to brown on one side, then give them a stir to brown the other side. This will allow the mushrooms to caramelize and intensify their flavour.
- Salt – Season the mushrooms after they’ve browned. I find that adding salt at the beginning allows too much moisture to come out, which again encourages steaming instead of frying.
What Mushrooms to use?
Here I use Chestnut Mushrooms, but in reality you can use any mushroom you fancy!
Once you’ve fried the mushrooms, I love to add in garlic. Because is it even legal to eat mushrooms without garlic!? From there I create a sauce with cream cheese and cream or milk. This will not only add flavour, but will also ensure the mushroom don’t dry out & stay nice and saucy as the grilled cheese fries.
Process shots: melt butter (photo 1), add first batch of mushrooms (photo 2), fry, remove then repeat (photo 3), add all mushrooms the pan with garlic (photo 4), add cream cheese, cream or milk and thyme (photo 5), stir to melt (photo 6).
Mushroom Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, the main event is done and dusted, let’s talk cheese.
What Cheese to use?
So we’ve already thrown in one cheese, which was the cream cheese. The other two I like to add in are Emmental and Gruyere. Mushrooms go well with an abundance of difference cheeses, but in my opinion the sweet, nutty flavour that Swiss style cheese brings cannot be beaten. Both of these will be found in any mainstream supermarket, but if for whatever reason you want to use a different cheese combo Sharp Cheddar, Gouda and Mozzarella all work nicely. Just depends on your flavour preference!
Can I use different herbs?
Thyme, for me, is the ultimate pairing with mushrooms, but chives, parsley or rosemary all pair nicely too. In all cases just ensure you’re using fresh herbs.
Can I add anything else in the sandwich?
In all honesty I don’t think you’ll need it, but if you want to go wild caramelized onions and/or bacon both work great!
Process shots: add bread buttered side down to pan with heat off (photo 1), add Emmental (photo 2), add mushrooms (photo 3), add Gruyere (photo 4), add buttered bread (photo 5), fry both sides (photo 6).
What can I serve with this?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love Cheese and Onion flavour with this sandwich.
- Side Recommendation: Garlic Parmesan Fries pair beautifully with this sandwich!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this mushroom grilled cheese sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Mushroom Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- Large Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Side Bowl (for mushrooms)
- Cheese Grater
- 6 medium slices of White Bread (here I use Soft Farmhouse, but something like Sourdough also works great)
- 1lb / 500g Mushrooms, sliced (see notes)
- 1/4 cup / 60ml Cream or Milk
- 3.5oz / 100g Cream Cheese
- 3.5oz / 100g Gruyere, grated
- 3 large slices of Emmental (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Butter, plus more as needed
- 1-2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced/minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, finely diced (see notes)
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Mushrooms: In a large pan over medium heat melt in 1 tbsp butter then add half of your mushrooms. Spread out across the pan and leave to fry until golden on one side. Flip them over and fry the other side until golden. Remove from pan and repeat with 2nd tbsp butter and the rest of your mushrooms.
- Creamy Mushrooms: Add all the mushrooms back into the pan, then add garlic and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 1-2mins until the garlic lightly browns, then add in cream cheese, cream/milk and thyme. Give it all a good stir until the cream cheese melts, then remove to a side bowl.
- Grilled Cheese: Wash out pan or use 2nd pan and place on the stove with the heat OFF. Add 1-2 slices of bread and spread with butter, then flip so they're butter side down. Add Emmental, then top with mushrooms. Sprinkle over Gruyere then add a second slice of bread. Spread the tops with butter.
- Fry: Turn heat to medium and fry both sides until golden, with the cheese nice and gooey. Remove and repeat with the 3rd sandwich. Enjoy!
If you loved this Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!