This is a bacon double cheeseburger like you’ve never seen before. This epic grilled cheese is served with homemade burger sauce too!
In answer to your question yes this is slightly more effort than making a regular cheeseburger, BUT, dare I say it’s much more delicious. And lord knows I love a burger. Follow me…
Homemade Burger Sauce
With every great cheeseburger comes a delicious burger sauce. At its heart, burger sauce is essentially mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and some form of acidity. Here I use dill pickle juice, just to chuck in some extra flavour too. Alongside this I also like to add onion powder, but you could add minced shallot/onion.
How do I serve this?
I actually serve it as a dip for the sandwiches, but you could absolutely drizzle it inside the sandwiches if you fancied.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Definitely! In fact I recommend you do make it in advance. Not only will this help to marry the flavours together, but it also means it’s one less thing you’ve got to prep when you make the sandwiches.
How long does burger sauce last?
It’ll comfortably last 3-4days tightly covered in the fridge (longer at your discretion).
Process shots: add ingredients to small pot (photo 1), mix and taste for seasoning (photo 2).
The beef is the star of the show, so it’s important to bring out the best in it. Two things you want to avoid is the beef being dry and the beef being bland.
Bland Beef Fix
In with the beef I like to add garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Alongside this I always add in beef stock and Worcestershire. This really deepens the flavour and ensures the beef doesn’t dry out. Speaking of dry beef…
Dry Beef Fix
In with the beef stock I recommend stirring in some cornstarch/cornflour. This way when you reduce down the liquid it’ll stick to the beef and create a glossy coating. This ensures the beef stays nice and juicy in the sandwich!
Process shots: add beef to oil in pan (photo 1), brown then season and reduce down liquid (photo 2).
Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese
The main thing to consider when making the grilled cheese is to spread the fillings nice and level, just to avoid them mounding in the middle and falling out when you flip it. Giving the sandwich a good squish once you’ve stacked it will also help with this.
What Cheese to use?
We’ve gotta go with ‘plastic’ American style cheese. It’s a burger classic – what can I say?! You can realistically use any cheese you want though…
What other fillings can I add?
Alongside the beef and cheese, I like to add bacon, tomatoes, dill pickles and minced onion. You can however use any of your favourite burger fillings!
Process shots: butter bread then flip (photo 1), add cheese (photo 2), add beef (photo 3), add toppings (photo 4), and more cheese then buttered bread (photo 5), fry both sides (photo 6).
Serving a Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese
From there, just slice in half and enjoy using the burger sauce as a dip!
What can I serve with this?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love a Chilli Heatwave Dorito with this sandwich.
- Side Recommendation: Go wild and add some fries (Garlic Parmesan or Sweet Potato) or keep it classic with a Homemade Coleslaw!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this cheeseburger grilled cheese sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese
- Small Pot (for sauce)
- Large Frying Pan & Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Paper Towels
- 1lb / 500g Ground Beef (preferably 10% lean or less)
- 1/2 cup / 120ml Beef Stock (preferably low sodium)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Cornstarch/Cornflour
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Garlic Powder, Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 10 medium slices of Sesame Seed White Bloomer (or other sturdy bread like Sourdough)
- 15 square slices of American Processed Cheese
- 10 single rashers of Bacon, cooked
- 5 tbsp EACH finely diced White Onion, Tomato, Dill Pickles (Gherkins in UK)
- Butter, as needed
- 4 tbsp Mayo
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tsp Mustard (Dijon or Classic Yellow)
- 2 tsp Dill Pickle Juice (Gherkin in UK)
- 1/2 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt, or to taste
- Burger Sauce: In a small pot combine mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickle juice, sugar, onion powder and salt. Taste test for preference and adjust accordingly. Cover and place to one side or in the fridge until needed.
- Beef: In a large pan over medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil. Add in beef and break up with your wooden spoon until it's brown almost all the way through. Add in garlic powder, salt and pepper and continue frying until fully browned. Add in 1 tbsp Worcestershire and the beef stock mixed with cornstarch/cornflour. Rapid simmer until all the liquid is soaked up. Remove beef from pan to a side bowl and wipe out pan with paper towels.
- Grilled Cheese: Either prep on a chopping board or in the pan with the heat OFF. Spread one side of the bread with butter. Place butter-side-down in pan and top with 1 1/2 slices of cheese, followed by 1/5th of your beef. Squish the beef with a wooden spoon, then top with tomato, onion & pickles (1 tbsp each). Top with 2 slices of bacon, followed by 1 1/2 slices of cheese. Add bread, squish down the sandwich to contain the filling then spread with butter.
- Fry: Turn heat to a medium heat and fry both sides until golden with the cheese melting around the edges. Be careful when you flip to ensure the beef doesn't spill out.
- Serve: Once you've fried all the sandwiches, slice in half then serve up with the burger sauce!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Fast Food Sandwiches
- Chili Cheese Dog Grilled Cheese
- Mini Taco Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Cheeseburger Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Oh how fun! This is definitely quite the epic grilled cheese sandwich. All those flavors sound absolutely amazing.
Ok, this is fabulous! The hamburger sauce will be hard not to pour on everything in sight! Delish!
Yup, I usually drizzle it over everything!
This was everything a gourmet burger should be, and then some! Easily, my new favorite way to enjoy a good burger! Delish!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
This looks absolutely incredible! My mouth is watering at just the thought of it – what a brilliant idea!
Thanks Bintu 🙂
That’s one jam-packed sandwich! So many tasty-sounding fillings, it’s definitely one full-on meal-sandwich.
Thanks Caroline! 🙂