Pizza Grilled Cheese is the sandwich you never knew you needed. Better still, it couldn’t be easier to make!
There’s a few tips and tricks to really enhancing this to make sure it doesn’t end up just being a grilled cheese that kinda tastes like a pizza. I mean, I’ve heard of worse sandwiches, but we’re here now so let’s make the most of it. Follow me…
Oregano Garlic Butter
This is a super easy way to spruce up the butter and works as a way to incorporate the bread into the ‘pizza’ concept. Oregano and pizza go hand in hand, whilst the addition of garlic makes it reminiscent of garlic bread. And who doesn’t want garlic bread with their pizza?!
To make the oregano butter just mix dried oregano with softened butter and fresh minced/finely grated garlic. You’ll use this to spread on the outside of the grilled cheese. You can also absolutely make this in advance!
Pizza Grilled Cheese Fillings
To go inside the grilled cheese you can really choose any pizza toppings you fancy. Alongside mozzarella, pizza sauce and pepperoni I add the following:
- Peppers (3 different colours)
- Red Onion
If I diced those up and added them straight into the grilled cheese I’d run into two problems. First is they’d be warm, but not fully cooked through. Second is that they’d release moisture into the centre of the grilled cheese as it fries, meaning it turns slightly soggy.
To avoid these problems I recommend frying off any veg you intend on adding into the sandwich.
How to make a Pizza Grilled Cheese
In general it’s a pretty basic method, just a few things to consider.
Important to place the cheese at the top and bottom so it melts properly, also important to spread the pizza sauce in the centre. This will ensure it doesn’t seep into the bread and cause it to go soggy.
You’ll want to use nice thick, large slices of bread. Something like a sturdy sourdough. There’s a fair bit of filling so you need to ensure the outside is thick enough to contain it and not make the sandwich soggy.
Low ‘n’ Slow
Don’t be tempted to fry the grilled cheese any higher than a medium heat. This will not only burn the garlic and oregano, but will also cook the outside before the centre heats up.
Process shots: spread butter over bread (photo 1), flip (photo 2), add cheese (photo 3), spread pizza sauce (photo 4), add toppings (photo 5), add cheese (photo 6), add bread and spread butter (photo 7), fry both sides (photo 8).
Serving Pizza Grilled Cheese
To serve I usually add a small pot of ranch and/or extra pizza sauce.
Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love Cool Original Dorito with this sandwich.
Side Recommendation: Sweet potato wedges work great, the sweetness balances out the bold, spicy flavours of the pizza.
And there we have it! All my top tips for the perfect pizza grilled cheese. Let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?!
How to make a Pizza Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Large Frying Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot (for oregano butter)
- Paper Towels
- 4 tbsp / 60g / 2oz Butter, softened / at room temp
- 1 heaped tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 clove of Garlic, finely grated / minced
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 4 large thick slices of White Bloomer Bread or Sourdough
- 10-12 slices of Pepperoni
- 8 slices of Mozzarella
- 3-4 heaped tbsp Pizza Sauce
- 3 small Peppers, finely diced (red, yellow, green)
- 1 small/medium Red Onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup Jalapeños, finely diced (optional)
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a small pot combine butter, oregano and garlic. Make sure the butter is not only softened, but also make sure it's measured/weighed (not heaping tbsp) or you'll end up with way too much butter. Place to one side.
- In a pan over medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil then add in peppers, onion and jalapeños. Fry until they begin to soften/brown then season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue frying until completely cooked through and nicely browned, then remove from pan. Wipe out pan and completely turn off heat.
- Once the pan has cooled, lay down two slices of bread. Spread with butter, then flip over. Add 2 slices of mozzarella, top with 1-2tbsp pizza sauce, followed by 5-6 slices of pepperoni. Spoon over your peppers/onion/jalapeño, top with 2 more slices of mozzarella then finish with bread.
- Spread over the rest of your butter and turn heat to a medium. Don't go any higher or you'll burn the garlic/oregano, you want to fry fairly low and slow. Once nicely browned on one side flip over and cook the other side until toasty and browned. Enjoy!