This Buffalo Grilled Chicken Cheese is easy, ultra cheesy and absolutely bursting with flavour. It’s also served with a delicious blue cheese dip!
If you’re looking for an OTT grilled cheese to add to your next conquest look no further. Hope you’re hungry! Follow me…
Blue Cheese Dip
Because why just have a grilled cheese when you can have a grilled cheese and a cheese dip? 🤣 Actually don’t answer that…
Buffalo chicken and blue cheese/blue cheese dip is a classic combo, and today we’re not going to stand in the way of that. Sure, you could buy ready made blue cheese dip (or even blue cheese dressing), but homemade is waaaaaay to easy to avoid. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sour Cream – The base of the dip, makes it nice and creamy.
- Mayo – Use whole egg full fat mayo for the best flavour.
- Blue Cheese – For a strong flavour use something like Stilton. If you want a milder taste then something creamier like a Gorgonzola works nicely.
- Chives – Secret ingredient that brings this dip to life!
- Lemon – Cuts through the richness of the dip.
Make ahead of time!
My one tip for this dip is to let it rest in the fridge before serving. This will allow the flavours to marry together and give time for the blue cheese to work its way into the dip. The difference between serving this right away or after resting in the fridge is quite significant.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken
Best way to make the filling is shred up some leftover rotisserie chicken/cooked chicken breasts. Because these are pretty big sandwiches, shredded chicken works best (as opposed to cubed) as it keeps everything in tact.
It’s as simple combining shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. I usually go for Frank’s Buffalo Sauce, but your favourite brand will work great.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yep! Just tightly cover in the fridge until needed. I recommend bring to room temp before making the sandwich though, just so you don’t risk it still being cold in the centre after frying the sandwich.
Process shots: add shredded chicken to a bowl (photo 1), pour in buffalo sauce (photo 2), stir to combine (photo 3).
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
When it comes to making the grilled cheese you can either make 4 small ones or 2 giant ones. Clearly I prefer the latter 😂 Alongside the buffalo chicken & cheese, I love throwing in some thinly sliced red onion and pickles.
What cheese to use?
Here I use Monterey Jack which works very nicely. You could also use a combo of this and cheddar. Mozzarella will give you more of a subtle flavour but will result in an epic cheese pull.
What other fillings could I add/sub?
I’ve subbed the red onion or green onion or chives before which both go nicely. You can omit the pickles if you don’t like them, or replace with jalapeños for an extra spicy flavour. Finely diced celery stirred through the chicken also works nicely. Obviously crispy bacon also works great in this sandwich.
Process shots: butter bread and add to pan with heat off (photo 1), flip (photo 2), add cheese (photo 3), add fillings (photo 4), add more cheese and bread (photo 5), fry both sides until golden (photo 6).
And there we have it! All my top tips for the perfect buffalo grilled cheese.
Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I love Cool Original Doritos with this sandwich!
Side Recommendation: Sweet Potato Wedges (or Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Wedges) go amazingly with not only the sandwich, but also the blue cheese dip. The sweetness balances out the spice really nicely. Some Coleslaw also goes really nicely!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this buffalo chicken sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Large Frying Pan & Turner/Spatula
- Medium Mixing Bowl (for chicken)
- Small Mixing Bowl & Spatula (for dip)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4 large or 8 small thick slices of Sourdough, Tiger or Giraffe Bread (UK)
- 2 packed cups / 250g-300g Cooked Shredded Chicken (see notes)
- 1/2 cup / 125ml Buffalo Sauce
- 8 square slices of Cheese (see notes)
- 1 small Red Onion, very finely sliced into rings
- Dill or Bread & Butter Pickles, to preference
- Butter, as needed
Blue Cheese Dip (makes big batch!)
- 2/3 cup / 150g Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup / 75g Mayo
- 1/2 cup / 50g crumbled Blue Cheese, or to preference
- 1/2 tbsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Blue Cheese Dip
- I HIGHLY recommend making this ahead of time to allow the flavours to develop. It makes a huge difference. Combine sour cream, mayo, blue cheese, chives, lemon juice and seasoning in a suitably sized bowl. Taste test and adjust accordingly with salt and pepper. Also adjust lemon juice, blue cheese and chives if desired. Cover and rest in the fridge until needed.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine chicken with buffalo sauce. Place to one side.
- In a large pan with the heat OFF add two slices of bread. Butter one side, then flip so they're butter-side-down. Top with two slices of cheese, half your chicken, followed by pickles and red onion, followed by more cheese then top with another slice of bread. Butter the tops then turn on heat to a medium.
- Fry both sides until nice and golden with the cheese melting through the centre. If you're making two giant ones be careful when you flip or the filling with spill out.
- Serve with blue cheese dip and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more buffalo goodness check out my Buffalo Fried Chicken Sandwich and Buffalo Chicken Meatball Sub!
For more similar sandwiches check these beauties out:
Spicy Sandwich Recipes
- Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Jalapeños Popper Grilled Cheese
- Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Chili Cheese Dog Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Thank you for the recipe, it was absolutely delicious and we all loved it!
That’s great to hear!
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Looks divine! The bluecheese dip sounds amazing. Definitely going to try this!
Definitely completes the sandwich! 🙂
Cheese and chicken is a match made in heaven.. and you’ve just used all the right ingredients to get me drooling … Lovely pictures too
Thanks so much!
Amanda Marie Boyle
This looks so amazing! I can’t wait to try, although I think my thighs gained a pound just looking at the pictures.
Haha totally worth it though!!