This Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese is the chicken sandwich you never knew you needed. It’s simple to make and bursting with flavour!
Chipotle, chicken and cheese is one of the most glorious combos imaginable. But when you slap it between two slices of bread things get real good real quick. Follow me…
The ingredients to make the chipotle chicken are pretty simple. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken – Cooked rotisserie chicken works best but you can fry up two breasts and shred them if that’s what you have (see recipe card notes for guidance).
- Cream Cheese – This creates the base and keeps everything from drying out too much. It also helps combine all the ingredients.
- Grated Cheese – I usually go for cheddar, but Monterey Jack & Mexican cheese blend also work well.
- Chipotle Paste – Chipotle paste is quite powerful. It works better than chipotle chili in adobo sauce and chipotle powder because it’s got a much more condensed, complex flavour. See recipe card for subs.
- Smoked Paprika – This enhances the smokiness of the chipotle paste.
- Onion & Garlic Powder – Adds an extra punch of flavour.
- Lime Juice – Livens up the flavour and cuts through the spiciness of the paste and richness of the cheese.
When combining the ingredients make sure you don’t over mix, otherwise the chicken comes out tough and dry. You could always make this part ahead of time and cover in the fridge until needed. Just make sure you bring it to room temp before making the sandwich otherwise it won’t warm through evenly.
Process shots: warm cream cheese in microwave (photo 1), add chipotle paste, seasoning and lime juice (photo 2), stir to combine (photo 3), add chicken and cheese (photo 4), stir to combine (photo 5).
Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese
When it comes to making the sandwich, because you’ve already mixed the cheese in with the chicken you really don’t need anything else beside bread & butter!
What bread to use?
You want something sturdy like a Sourdough, just so it contains the filling nicely. I tend to use small-medium slices in size, but I like the slices to be thick-cut. Again, just to help contain the filling.
When I’m usually frying a grilled cheese, I’ll go for a medium heat. However because the cheese is mixed in with the chicken I prefer a low-medium heat, just to ensure the cheese heats right through and melts nicely.
Process shots: add bread butter-side-down and top with chipotle chicken (photo 1), add bread and gently press down (photo 2), butter bread (photo 3), fry both sides until golden (photo 4).
Serving Chipotle Chicken Sandwiches
These are perfect for the day after roasting a chicken, just to use up the leftover chicken. I typically serve these for lunch, either by themselves, or with a little something on the side.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chipotle chicken grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Chipotle Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Large Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Large Frying Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Cheese Grater
- 8 small-medium sized thick slices of Sourdough
- 2 packed cups / 250g-300g Shredded Cooked Chicken (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups / 150g grated Cheese (Cheddar, Monterey Jack & Mexican Cheese Blend all work grated)
- 5oz / 150g Full Fat Cream Cheese, softened/warmed in the microwave until easy to mix
- 1 tbsp Chipotle Paste (see notes)
- 1/2 Lime, juice only
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Butter, as needed
- In a large bowl combine softened cream cheese with lime juice, chipotle paste, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and a pinch of salt & pepper. Add chicken and cheese and gently stir to combine. Don't be too rough and mash the chicken or it'll dry up and go mushy/tough.
- In a large frying pan with the heat OFF add 2-4 slices of bread (depending on size of pan). Spread with butter then flip over so they're butter-side-down. Top with chipotle chicken then add a second slice of bread on top. Spread with butter then turn heat to low-medium.
- Fry both sides until golden brown with the chicken completely warmed through. Repeat second batch if needed then slice in half and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Fajita Grilled Cheese
- Chili Cheese Dog Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Chipotle Chicken Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!