If you’re looking for a quick, easy and delicious Spam Sandwich recipe, this breakfast version is a total winner!
I’m an absolute sucker for Spam, and since you’re here I’m assuming you are too. Well, that or you’re just intrigued to know what on earth is going on 😂 Either way you’re gonna love these sandwiches. Spam gets a bad rep, but in the right context it’s so delicious!
There’s a number of things you can do with Spam, but one of my favourite things is chucking it in a sandwich (much to your surprise I’m sure).
Fried Spam Sandwich
If you’re putting Spam in a sandwich you really want to pan fry it. By nature Spam has quite a soft/mushy texture, but by pan frying it you give it a nice crispy outside. This and you also render out some of the fat, which is awesome for toasting bread in! Do you need oil to fry Spam? Absolutely not. Whack it in a dry pan where it’ll fry in its own fat.
You could use scrambled egg, or even make a mini omelette, but here I like to make sunny-side-up fried eggs. Just because Spam drenched in egg yolk is to die for!
To add to the breakfast vibe in these sandwiches I use English Muffins, but Hawaiian Rolls would also work nicely!
Process shots: add spam to pan (photo 1), fry both sides then remove (photo 2), toast English muffins in leftover fat (photo 3), remove then melt butter (photo 4), crack in eggs (photo 5), separate into pairs (photo 6), spread muffin with sauce (photo 7), place on top of the eggs (photo 8).
How to make a Spam Egg Sandwich
What Sauce to use?
The sauce I use to spread the muffins with is Sriracha Mayo. This is optional though. Alternatively you could use just Sriracha or a sauce of choice.
What Cheese to use?
Sure, spam egg sandwiches are great, but spam egg cheese sandwiches are better 😛. In reality you can use any cheese you fancy. Preferably something that easily melts. Here I use American style processed cheese because I’m basic AF.
Process shots: flip egg/muffins onto plate (photo 1), add cheese (photo 2), add fried spam (photo 3), fold over sandwich (photo 4).
Serving Spam Sandwiches
If you’ve done sunny-side-up eggs I definitely recommend a plate & a paper towel, as they can get pretty yolky!
What to serve with a Spam sandwich?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Salt & Vinegar, always and forever.
- Side Recommendation: Definitely gotta be some Hash Browns!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Spam sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Spam Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Spam Egg Sandwich
- Large Frying Pan
- Plastic Spatula/Turner
- Large Plate or Board (preferably as big as pan)
- 4 slices of Spam (see notes)
- 4 Eggs
- 2 English Muffins or Hawaiian Rolls, sliced in half
- 2 square slices of Cheese (of choice)
- 4 tsp Sriracha Mayo (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a large dry pan over medium-high heat add 4 slices of spam. Fry both sides until golden & crispy, then remove from pan (leave fat in pan). Add muffin halves to the fat and fry until crispy/lightly charred, then remove and turn heat to a low-medium.
- Melt in 1 tbsp butter and use your plastic spatula to spread it across the pan as best you can. Crack in 4 eggs and use your spatula to separate the eggs into pairs. It should look like two oval shapes (see video). Season with salt & pepper and cook until all egg white turns opaque (split egg yolks if you don't like sunny side up).
- Lightly spread the muffins with sriracha mayo, then place muffin halves over the eggs. Take a large plate and gently rest over the top. Carefully flip the pan over so the egg muffins end up on the plate egg-side-up.
- Add a slice of cheese to each of them, followed by spam, then fold over and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
Not afraid of canned meat? Check out my Corned Beef Sandwich!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
If you loved this Spam Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Leave a Reply