You’ll be surprised by just how delicious this sandwich is using a simple can of corned beef!
Wondering what to make with canned corned beef? This sandwich is quick, easy to make, versatile and so delicious! Follow me…
Let’s talk Bread!
I recommend using Ciabatta for a corned beef sandwich. Ciabatta has a gorgeous chewy texture and crisps up PERFECTLY. This offers a nice contrast to the very soft texture of the corned beef. Here I’ve used ciabatta panini rolls, but you can use regular ciabatta rolls or even use slices from a loaf.
What Cheese to use?
I love toasting some Swiss cheese onto the ciabatta, just as a nod to the classic Reuben sandwich.
Process shots: place rolls on baking tray (photo 1), slice in half (photo 2), brush two with oil and top two with cheese (photo 3), grill/broil (photo 4).
Corned Beef Sandwich
Here’s what I recommend for the sandwich fillings:
- Horseradish Mayo – Horseradish and beef pair perfectly. I like mixing in mayo to make more of a creamier sauce (homemade recipe in the recipe card below). You can however just use a very thin spread of horseradish, or even mustard!
- Caramelized Onions – These offer some sweetness to balance out the saltiness of the corned beef. You can use store-bought or make your own (homemade recipe in the recipe card below). If you’d prefer you can just fry up some onions.
- Rocket/Arugula – This offers some peppery goodness to pair with the corned beef.
- Tomatoes – Use some good quality vine-ripened tomatoes so they’re no too sour!
Can I use regular/homemade corned beef?
Yep! You can even use leftover beef from your roast dinner too if you fancy.
Process shots: allow to cool slightly (photo 1), spread one side with horseradish mayo (photo 2), top other with caramelized onions (photo 3), add corned beef (photo 4), top with rocket/arugula (photo 5), top with tomato (photo 6).
Serving a Corned Beef Sandwich
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I like Ready Salted with this, just because the flavours are already balanced nicely in the sandwich. I also sneak some of them in the sandwich too!
- Side Recommendation: Potato Salad works great as a side for this sandwich.
After another canned meat sandwich? Check out my Spam Sandwiches!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this corned beef sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Corned Beef Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Canned Corned Beef Sandwich
- Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Brush & Small Pot (for oil - optional)
- Place ciabatta halves on a baking tray. Add a slice of cheese to two of them, then lightly brush the other two slices with oil. Place under the grill and broil until the cheese melts and the bread crisps.
- Stack the cheesy slice with caramelized onions, then corned beef, followed by rocket/arugula, then topped with tomato slices. Spread the oiled slice with horseradish mayo, then fold over and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Canned Corned Beef recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!