This Horseradish Mayonnaise is so simple to whip up and makes the perfect sandwich condiment!
I do love horseradish, but it is a fairly pungent condiment. Sometimes it’s nice to transform it into a creamy mayonnaise so you can slather it to your hearts content without your eyes watering!
Horseradish Mayo Ingredients
As you can imagine, this requires very few ingredients. I do like to chuck in a few extra goodies to bring the mayo to life:
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayonnaise of course!
- Horseradish – Prepared horseradish (the stuff you find in jars near the spice/herb section).
- Lemon Juice – Brightens up the mayonnaise. Make sure it’s fresh lemon juice!
- Chives – Some fresh chives add a nice pop of flavour.
- Black Pepper – Horseradish LOVES pepper, so add a good pinch!
Can I use fresh horseradish?
I recommend prepared horseradish because it blends in with the mayo much better than fresh horseradish. Plus it’s much more convenient!
When it comes to making horseradish mayo, I recommend starting off conservatively with the horseradish and working your way up.
What does Horseradish Mayo taste like?
It’s creamy yet tangy. The pungent heat of the horseradish is still prominent, but it’s toned down nicely by the rich mayonnaise. Depending on how much black pepper you use it can also be a little bit spicy!
How long does Horseradish Mayo last?
Up to 1 week tightly covered in the fridge (longer at your discretion).
Serving Horseradish Mayo
How to use Horseradish Mayo?
It goes amazingly with beef, great with bacon and really nice with fish too. It’s a nice creamy alternative to regular horseradish or even mustard! My favourite sandwich to use this in is my Corned Beef Sandwich.
After more magical mayo recipes? Check out my Pesto Mayo and Chipotle Mayo!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this horseradish mayo shall we?!
How to make Horseradish Mayo (Full Recipe & Video)
- Small Pot
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- 1/2 cup / 120g Mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp Prepared Horseradish (see notes)
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice, or more to taste
- 1 tsp finely diced Fresh Chives
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or more to taste (horseradish loves pepper!)
- In a small pot combine 1/2 cup mayo with 1 tbsp horseradish, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp chives and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Taste test and increase horseradish, lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
- Tightly cover in the fridge or serve up right away!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Horseradish Mayo recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
So easy and delicious! I make this all the time now. Thanks for the recipe.
Is it horseradish SAUCE?
Makes a big difference-
Both sold same area, both horseradish-🙃
Usually called Horseradish sauce 🙂
Great to hear, Janet! Thanks for the review 🙂