Chipotle mayo is the perfect condiment for just about everything. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to make!
Chipotle chilis have a gorgeous spicy & smoky flavour to them. This, blended in with a creamy mayonnaise makes the PERFECT dip or sauce. The rich flavours of the mayo balance out the intense flavour from the chipotle to create one heck of a good time. Follow me…
Chipotle Mayo Ingredients
- Chipotle Paste – In my opinion this is the best way to inject the chipotle flavour. Chipotle paste has a very powerful, condensed flavour which is packed with various other flavour/spices alongside the chipotle. This is widely available in the UK (see below for subs)
- Mayonnaise – Full fat mayo for the best flavour. If you want to make chipotle mayo from scratch you can make your own mayonnaise!
- Lime Juice – This is a key ingredient. Not only is chipotle and lime a marriage made in heaven, but the lime helps liven up the sauce and helps cuts through the rich flavour of the mayo.
- Garlic – This is completely optional. If you are adding it make sure it’s one very small clove (a little goes a long way) and make sure it’s minced. Just so you don’t get big chunks of garlic in the sauce.
Can I use Chipotle Chilis in Adobo Sauce?
If you can’t find chipotle paste your next best bet is getting a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce. You can either mash the chilis themselves, or even just spoon in some of the sauce.
Can I use Chipotle Powder?
Failing the above two options you can use chipotle powder. I find this to offer the least amount of flavour, but it’s still viable if that’s all you have on hand!
Making Chipotle Mayo
As you can imagine, making the mayo is pretty simple. My number one tip is to start off conservatively with the chipotle and adjust after taste testing. It’s MUCH easier to increase the spice than take it away!
You can also adjust the lime juice if you want a tangier sauce. If you want to go full chipotle lime mayo then add some of the zest too!
Serving Chipotle Mayo
Wondering what to serve with chipotle mayo? The above photo shows me serving it as a dip with Spicy Wedges (Sweet Potato Wedges also go nicely). It also works perfectly as a condiment in a sandwich of course. Below I’ve served it in my Grilled Chicken Sandwich, but it’d also go delightfully in my Fried Chicken Sandwich too!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chipotle mayonnaise shall we?!
How to make Chipotle Mayo (Full Recipe & Video)
Easy Chipotle Mayo
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 1 cup / 240g Mayonnaise (see notes)
- 1-2 tbsp Chipotle Paste (see notes)
- 1/2 Lime, juice only (or to taste)
- 1 small clove of Garlic, minced & smoothed with the blade of your knife (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl combine 1 cup mayo, 1 tbsp chipotle paste, the juice of half a lime and a small minced cloves of garlic (optional). Taste test for spice and add more chipotle paste as needed.
- Cover and store in the fridge or serve up right away!
If you loved this Chipotle Mayo recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!