These Grilled Cheese Roll Ups are super easy, totally cheesy and darn-right delicious!
I know I like to bend the rules with what’s considered a grilled cheese on this page, and maybe this is one step too far 😂 But c’mon, look how darn cute they are!!
Making Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
As you can imagine, these are horrendously easy to make. Better still, you only need 3 ingredients:
- Bread – You’ll want to use soft white sandwich bread, preferably nice and fresh so it’s as pliable as possible. You also want fairly thick slices so it doesn’t tear as you roll it. Stay clear of fancy or firm bread (like Sourdough) it’ll just crack if you try to roll it.
- Cheese – I like using a classic Cheddar, but most types of melty cheese will work well (Gruyere, Monterey Jack, Shredded Mozzarella etc).
- Butter – Melted so you can brush the roll ups all over.
Can I use cheese slices?
I tend to use finely grated cheese, just because that’s what rolls up the easiest. But if you have relatively thin slices of cheese that’ll work just fine.
Process shots: lay bread on chopping board (photo 1), slice off crusts (photo 2), use a rolling pin to roll flat (photo 3), sprinkle over cheese (photo 4), roll and brush the seam with butter (photo 5), brush with butter all over (photo 6).
Cooking Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
You’ll want to cook them in a non-stick pan and use tongs to continually rotate them until they’re golden and crispy! A lot of recipes actually melt the butter in the pan instead of brushing it over the roll ups. I have actually tested this, but found not only did the roll ups unravel more easily, but the butter didn’t evenly distribute evenly across the roll ups. It also began to brown/burn. As such, I recommend brushing the butter directly onto the roll ups.
Can you bake grilled cheese roll ups?
I have tested this and they bake pretty well. I did find however that a lot of the cheese leaked out by the time the outside was crisp. As such I recommend pan frying!
In general, the main things you want to consider are:
- Use a non-stick pan.
- Place them seam-side-down initially, just to help them glue shut.
- Fry over low-medium so the centre cooks at the same rate the outside crisps up.
Process shots: place in a non-stick pan over low-medium heat (photo 1), frequently turn until golden with the cheese just starting to leak out (photo 2).
Serving Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
I usually serve these in two different contexts:
- Breakfast – They mop up a runny egg yolk PERFECTLY!
- Soup – Use them as soup dunkers for a Tomato Soup or Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
Can I add a filling to these?
For more filling ideas check out my Sandwich Roll Ups!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these grilled cheese roll ups shall we?
How to make Grilled Cheese Roll Ups (Full Recipe & Video)
Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
- Bread Knife & Chopping Board
- Small Pot & Brush (for melted butter)
- Non-Stick Pan & Tongs
- Rolling Pin
- Fine Cheese Grater
- 8 thick slices of Soft White Bread (see notes)
- 1.5 cups / 150g finely grated Cheddar
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted (or as needed)
- One by one, slice the crusts off of each slice of bread, then use a rolling pin to flatten. Add a pinch of cheese to each slice, making sure you leave a small strip at the end to brush with butter.
- Tightly but carefully roll up each slice to the end, brush with butter, then roll shut and place seam-side-down. Brush all over with butter.
- Add roll ups to a dry pan seam-side-down over low-medium heat and fry until golden all over with the cheese starting to leak out. Use your tongs to frequently turn them. You may need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your pan.
Your Private Notes:
After more cheesy goodness? Check out all my Grilled Cheese Recipes!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Grilled Cheese Hacks
- Inside Out Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Chips
- Double Decker Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Grilled Cheese Roll Up recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!