Forget tortilla chips, these Grilled Cheese Chips are about to be your new favourite finger food!
My tagline is ‘there’s nothing that can’t be sandwiched’ for a reason 🤣. Yep, today we’re making tortilla chips out of bread, cheese and butter. Follow me…
Grilled Cheese Chips
These chips are essentially mini grilled cheese sandwiches that have been flattened. They’re then diced into triangles to resemble tortilla chips, then baked in the oven until golden and crispy.
What Bread to use?
You’ll want to use soft white sandwich bread. I recommend having it no thicker than a medium slice. Too thick and the chips come out chewy, as opposed to crispy. I also recommend removing the crusts so the chips are more even (you can pulse them and use as breadcrumbs).
What Cheese to use?
I recommend a nice sharp cheddar, just to add a punch of flavour. Cheddar also works nicely because it has a fairly high threshold for heat. Meaning that when some of it seeps out of the chip, it turns golden and withstands burning pretty well. I actually tried this recipe with mozzarella, which seeped out very quickly and burnt.
Process shots: add two slices of bread to chopping board (photo 1), remove crusts (photo 2), separate bread (photo 3), add cheese to one side (photo 4), and bread back on top (photo 5), roll until thin (photo 6), spread butter on both sides (photo 7), slice into chips (photo 8).
Baked Grilled Cheese Chips
Ironically you’re not actually grilling these. Mainly because you’ll have to work in batches and constantly man them as they fry up. Too much effort I say! So yes, technically these are ‘baked cheese chips’ but let’s not get hung up on semantics 😂
Make sure you spread out the chips and I recommend flipping half way.
Process shots: add chips to baking tray (photo 1), bake until golden (photo 2).
Serving Grilled Cheese Chips
Here’s some ways I like to enjoy these beauties:
- With a dip or with Tomato Chutney.
- With Tomato Soup.
- With a cooked breakfast to scoop up runny egg yolk.
- Turn them into Nachos!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these grilled cheese chips shall we?!
How to make Grilled Cheese Chips (Full Recipe & Video)
Grilled Cheese Chips
- 1 - 2 Large Greaseproof Baking Trays
- Bread Knife & Chopping Board
- Rolling Pin
- 8 fairly thin slices of Soft White Bread
- 1.5 - 2 cups / 150 - 200g finely grated Cheddar
- 4 tbsp Butter, or as needed
- Remove the crusts from each slice of bread, then sprinkle cheese over half of the slices.
- Place a slice of bread on top of the cheese, then gently push down to contain the cheese. Use a rolling pin to evenly flatten the sandwich. You can tidy up the edges if you wish.
- Spread both sides with butter, then slice the sandwich into 6 chips.
- Spread out on to a baking tray or two, then pop in the oven at 190C/375F for 15-20mins, or until golden and crispy. I recommend flipping them half way. Just keep an eye on them as all ovens are different. They will crisp up slightly more as they cool.
Your Private Notes:
After more cheesy goodness? Check out all my Grilled Cheese Recipes!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Grilled Cheese Hacks
- Inside Out Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
- Double Decker Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Grilled Cheese Chip recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!