After trying an Inside Out Grilled Cheese you’ll never make a grilled cheese any other way again!
Because seriously, is there anything better than a sandwich with cheese on the inside AND the outside?! You know it makes sense 😋 Follow me…
Inside Out Grilled Cheese
By forming a cheese crust on the sandwich you create a gorgeous crunchy casing which counteracts the gooey inside.
What Cheese to use for the filling?
In reality you can use any type of melty cheese. Here I use a combination of Gruyere for a sweet nutty flavour, and Mozzarella for an epic cheese pull.
What Cheese to use for the crust?
I find a nice sharp Cheddar works best. It crisps up nicely and adds an intense cheesy flavour to the crust. I have also tried Parmesan which works nicely.
Process shots: add bread to pan butter side down and add cheese (photo 1), add bread butter side up and fry until golden then flip (photo 2), add cheddar (photo 3), flip (photo 4), add cheddar (photo 5), flip then fry again (photo 6).
Tips for the best Inside Grilled Cheese
- Non-Stick Pan – It’s essential to use a good non-stick pan for this recipe, otherwise you risk the cheese sticking to the pan instead of the bread!
- Plastic Spatula – You’ll be lightly scraping the bottom of the grilled cheese, so use a plastic spatula or risk scratch marks.
- Switch up the fillings – You can really use this trick with any grilled cheese, so check out all my Grilled Cheese Recipes for inspiration on different fillings!
- Bread – Most types of bread will work here, but I usually go for a slightly firm loaf (like a Sourdough). Just so the bread acts as a good barrier between the gooey cheese and the crispy cheese.
Serving an Inside Out Grilled Cheese
Once you’ve fried both sides, you’ll find it crisps up slightly as it cools. It’s ready to flip when the cheese is deep golden and comfortably attached to the bread.
These are awesome by themselves, but even better dunked in some Tomato Soup 😋
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this inside out grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make an Inside Out Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Inside Out Grilled Cheese
- Non-Stick Pan
- Plastic Spatula
- Cheese Grater
- 8 medium slices of Bread (something firm like Sourdough works well)
- 2 cups / 200g Cheddar, grated (for the crust)
- 1 cup / 100g Gruyere, grated (or cheese of choice)
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded (or second cheese of choice)
- Butter, as needed
- Butter one side of each of the slices of bread. Flip half of them over so they're butter-side-down. On those slices add gruyere/mozzarella then add the other slice of bread butter-side-up.
- In batches, add the sandwiches to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once golden on the bottom, flip them over and sprinkle cheddar over the top. Press down the cheese into the toasted bread.
- Once the other side is golden, carefully flip it over so it's cheese-side-down. Add cheese to the top and gently press down. Leave to fry until the cheese turns deep golden and attaches to the bread, then carefully flip over and leave the other side to fry until golden/crispy.
- Repeat then serve up and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Inside Out Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!