This Double Decker Grilled Cheese is perfect for when one sandwich just isn’t quite enough!
I know, listen to me – as if I’ve ever had a problem with stuffing two grilled cheese sandwiches down my neck 🤣. But, sometimes life just calls for an inbetweeny-sandwich. You know, more filling than a single sandwich but just a little more acceptable than two? Yeah I’m really winging this… Follow me 😛
Double Decker Grilled Cheese
The beauty of the double decker is that you get more filling than one sandwich, but less bread than two. You also get 3 layers of crispy bread too. I know looking at the pics it might be assumed the middle slice is soft, but it’s totally not.
You’re essentially just making a regular grilled cheese, but once you flip it you’ll add more filling on top, another slice of bread then flip it one more time. That’s 3 slices of bread, 2 layers of cheese and 2 flips.
What Cheese/Filling to use?
Here I’ve gone for bacon, cheddar and mozzarella, but you can really add anything you fancy. Check out all my Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for inspiration!
Process shots: add bread butter side down (photo 1), add cheese/bacon (photo 2), add bread butter side up (photo 3), flip when the bottom slice is toasted (photo 4), add more cheese/bacon (photo 5), add bread butter side up then flip when the bottom slice is toasted (photo 6).
Serving a Double Decker Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this double decker grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Double Decker Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Double Decker Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Non-Stick Pan
- Plastic Spatula/Turner
- Bread Knife
- Cheese Grater
- 6 medium slices of Bread
- 8 slices of Bacon, cooked to preference (optional)
- 1-1.5 cups / 100-150g Cheddar, grated
- 1-1.5 cups / 100-150g Mozzarella, shredded
- Butter, as needed
- Lay 6 slices of bread on a chopping board and spread one side of each of them with butter.
- Add two of them butter-side-down into a non-stick pan with the heat off. Add cheddar, mozzarella and 2 slices of bacon, then add another slice of bread on top butter-side-up.
- Turn heat to a medium and fry until the bottom slice turns golden and the cheese starts to melt. Flip over, then top the toasted side with more cheddar, mozzarella and bacon. Add another slice of bread on top butter-side-up.
- Once the bottom slice turns golden, flip the sandwich one last time and continue frying until golden, with the cheese nice and gooey.
- Serve up and enjoy!
If you loved this Bacon Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!