These Croissant Sandwiches are easy to make and loaded with flavour. This truly is the best way to use chicken salad!
Chicken Salad for Croissants
Chicken salad is one of the most glorious things in this world. Everyone’s got their own twist on it, but I’m here today to offer my version. Which, by the way, just happens to self-admittedly be the best chicken salad in the world 🤪. Here’s the basics:
- Chicken – I usually go for leftover roast chicken. If you’re anything like me you’ll roast a chicken at the start of the week then shred it up and portion out. A chicken salad is the best way to use up cooked chicken. You can however fry up raw chicken and then shred/cube from there (more on this in the recipe card).
- Dressing – I go for a 50/50 split with yogurt and mayo. I find all mayo a bit too tangy/rich and all yogurt a little plain. A mix of both will give you best results. Alongside this I love adding lemon juice and mustard, just to add a nice bit of acidity/heat to balance out the sweetness of the croissants.
- Salad – Here’s where you can really go wild. For a range of texture and flavour I go for bacon, pecans/walnuts, celery, red onion and dried cranberries. The fantastic 5 if you will 😛
Can I make chicken salad ahead of time?
You certainly can! In fact I recommend doing so as it’ll give time for the flavours to develop. When you first make the dressing it’s a little tangy, but as it rests in the salad the sweetness for the cranberries work their way in and balance everything out nicely. How long you can make ahead is dependent on how long you already had the cooked chicken for.
Process shots: add dressing ingredients to small bowl (photo 1), stir to combine (photo 2), cube chicken and add to larger bowl (photo 3), add fillings (photo 4), pour in dressing (photo 5), stir to combine (photo 6).
Chicken Salad Croissants
I know a croissant sandwich might sound a little odd but it totally works, especially in this context. You’ll want to use all butter croissants, and I tend to find the biggest ones I can get my hands on. You’ll get 4-5 sandwiches here depending on how much filling you like/how big the croissants are.
Croissant Sandwiches for a crowd
I usually serve these sandwiches for lunch. But, you could totally make them for a party/gathering. Just use mini croissants instead!
Do I have to use croissants?
Croissants do offer a gorgeous flavour that goes perfectly with the chicken salad, but you can use bread or wraps instead if that’s what you have! I recommend toasting the bread and wrapping the wraps nice and tight, just to secure the saucy chicken salad.
Process shots: place croissant on chopping board (photo 1), slice open (photo 2), add chicken salad (photo 3), fold over (photo 4).
Serving Croissant Sandwiches
From there you’re good to go! No need to slice in half, just dig right in 🙂
What to serve with chicken salad croissant sandwiches?
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Salt & Vinegar works delightfully here!
- Side Recommendation: If you’re having these sandwiches for brunch then add some Homemade Hash Browns! For lunch consider adding some Garlic Parmesan Fries.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chicken salad croissant sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Croissant Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Tray or Pan (to cook bacon)
- 4-5 All Butter Croissants
- 2 packed cups / 250-300g Cooked/Rotisserie Chicken, diced into small cubes
- 4 singles rashers of Bacon, cooked, cooled & chopped
- 1/4 cup / 40g Dried Cranberries, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup / 35g Pecans or Walnuts, roughly diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced Red Onion (approx 1/2 small onion)
- 1 rib of Celery, finely diced
Chicken Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup / 120g Mayo
- 1/2 cup / 120g Greek Yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
- 1/2 Lemon, juice only (can sub 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- In a small mixing bowl combine mayo, yogurt, lemon juice, mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper (to taste).
- In a larger mixing bowl add chicken, celery, cranberries, bacon, red onion and nuts. Pour in the dressing and combine until all the filling is coated in the dressing.
- Slice open croissants and add chicken salad. Fold back over then tuck right in!
Your Private Notes:
Love a salad sandwich? Check out my Tuna Salad Sandwich!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Leftover Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Waldorf Salad Sandwich
- Chicken, Bacon & Ranch Sandwich
- Coronation Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Mayo Sandwich
- ALL Leftover Chicken Sandwiches
If you loved this Croissant Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
This is the sandwich I always order when we go out for lunch. With the pandemic we don’t go out anymore, so it makes so much sense to do this at home. Can’t wait to try your recipe!
This chicken salad is creamy perfection. So much flavor. And I love it on the croissant. It feels like a treat.
I love croissants instead of bread because they’re so buttery, but I’d never thought of using chicken salad. What a great idea! I’ll have to try this soon!
Everything about this recipe looks perfect! I love that you used half mayo and half yogurt for your chicken salad. Putting this on a croissant was a great idea as well! YUM!
WOW! I love this approach! I have never thought of making a sandwich out of croissants. I am making it NOW!