A quick and easy blackberry jam, creamy melted brie and crispy bacon. This truly is the grilled cheese you never knew you needed!
I know it sounds like a bit of an odd combo, but trust me, it truly works. The sweetness of the jam goes so deliciously with the saltiness of the cheese/bacon. The brie just oozes out of the sandwich and marries so well with the blackberries. The crispy bacon, the buttery toasted bread. It’s all just so heavenly. Follow me…
Easy Blackberry Jam
You could just use fresh blackberries as they are, but I find them a little tart like that. Plus making a jam couldn’t be easier. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Blackberries – I use fresh blackberries but you could use frozen if that’s what you have.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar works perfectly here.
- Lemon Juice – Cuts through the sweetness and helps thicken the jam.
That’s it! Just mash up the blackberries in a pot and simmer until it thickens. No cornstarch or jam sugar needed!
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yep! It’s pretty quick to make, but if you want to get ahead of the game just allow to cool and tightly store in the fridge for a couple of days until needed.
Can I use a different jam?
I love the flavour the blackberries bring, but in reality this aspect is more about the sweetness and jammy texture. As such you could sub other jams (strawberry/blueberry works well). I’ve even used cranberry sauce before which works perfectly!
Process shots: add blackberries, sugar and lemon juice to small pot (photo 1), mash over low heat (photo 2), rapid simmer until thickened (photo 3).
The ULTIMATE Blackberry Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, blackberry jam done and dusted, let’s talk grilled cheese. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread – I used a poppy seeded white bloomer here which works well. Sourdough or Italian style bread are great options!
- Butter – To fry the outside. Mayo will give a more tangy flavour if you wanted to use that.
- Brie – Adds a gorgeous creaminess to the sandwich. Brie has a low melting point so works perfectly in a grilled cheese.
- Bacon – Fried or baked to your texture preference. I recommend cooking it until relatively crispy, just to counteract the gooey jam/brie.
Can I sub the Brie with another cheese?
Camembert has a very similar texture, but has a much more pungent flavour. Something nutty like Gruyere also works nicely. Fontina makes a great sub too!
Process shots: add bread butter side down with heat off (photo 1), spread with blackberry jam (photo 2), add brie (photo 3), add bacon (photo 4), add buttered bread (photo 5), turn on heat and fry both sides (photo 6).
From there just slice in half and enjoy! It’s delicious as it is for a quick brunch or lunch, but you could add some sides for good measure if you fancy.
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Something strong and sturdy like McCoys to scoop out any brie that leaks out. Salt and Vinegar would add another flavour profile and add some acidity to the sweetness/saltiness.
- Side Recommendation: Sweet Potato or Spicy Potato Wedges go really well with this sandwich! You could even serve with some Berry Fruit Salad for afters if you want to keep the fruit train going.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this blackberry grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Blackberry Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Brie, Bacon & Blackberry Grilled Cheese
- Small Pot, Potato Masher & Wooden Spoon (for blackberry jam)
- Large Pan & Turner/Spatula (for grilled cheese)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 8 small-medium slices of Bread (here I use poppy seeded White Bloomer)
- 8 slices of Bacon, fried or baked until preferred texture
- 2 heaping cups / 300g Fresh Blackberries
- 7oz / 200g Brie, sliced into wedges (3 per sandwich)
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 4 pinches of Chilli Flakes, optional (see notes)
- Butter, as needed
- In a small pot over low-medium heat, add blackberries, sugar and lemon juice. With a potato masher gently burst all the berries until a thin sauce forms.
- Turn up heat to medium-high and allow the sauce to bubble and reduce until thickened, stirring frequently. The sauce will thicken, just keep bubbling and stirring. Keep in mind it will continue thickening once it cools.
- Butter one side of each of your slices of bread. In a large pan with the heat OFF add two slices of bread butter-side-down (or as many as you can fit). Spread 1 heaped tbsp blackberry jam, top with 3 wedges of brie each, 2 slices of bacon then a pinch of chilli flakes (optional). Add another slice of bread on top then spread with butter.
- Turn heat to a medium and fry both sides until golden, with the brie starting to leak out. Repeat with remaining sandwiches if needed then slice in half and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
Bonkers for brie? Check out my Ultimate Brie Grilled Cheese!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Sweet and Savoury Sandwiches
If you loved this Blackberry Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
OMG I am drooling over this! Looks so tempting
Oh wow! What a wonderful combination of flavors in this grilled cheese sandwich. I love the addition of the blackberry jam.
I love loaded sandwiches like this! I can’t wait to try this recipe idea.
What a delicious combination of flavors! I can’t believe how good it was.
Wow this sounds amazing! Love berries and cheese paired and how the blackberries help cut through the richness!