Elvis Presley’s favourite sandwich is officially the sandwich you never knew you needed!
If you’ve never tried The Elvis before, today’s the day. Some people get freaked out by the combination, but don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it! Follow me…
The Elvis Sandwich
Turns out Elvis didn’t just have good taste in music! One of his favourite sandwiches tastes pretty darn good too. Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need:
Elvis Sandwich Ingredients
- Bread – Any type of medium sliced soft white bread will do the trick.
- Peanut Butter – Don’t hold back on this!
- Banana – A few reports suggest he enjoyed it with caramelized bananas, but most recipes just slice it up and whack it in, as I do here.
- Bacon – Probably the most controversial ingredient (more on this in a sec).
- Butter – To toast the bread!
Does The Elvis Sandwich have Bacon?
Most recipes do add bacon, but many others just do toasted peanut butter banana sandwiches. In my opinion the bacon is what makes this sandwich. You get that gorgeous sweet/salty contrast and a nice crispy texture to counteract the soft peanut butter and banana. Also, there’s very little dispute of the fact that Elvis LOVED bacon, so it’s going in 😛
Pan Fried Bacon
What kind of Bacon to use?
American/Streaky bacon all the way! Personally I like smoked, but unsmoked works just as well.
Don’t waste the fat!
The main thing with frying the bacon is to make sure you leave the bacon fat in the pan! That stuff is liquid gold and is used to toast the sandwich, just for added flavour!
Making The Elvis Sandwich
Typically you’d use creamy peanut butter, but I prefer crunchy. You’ll want to spread it on both the top and bottom slices of the bread, just so it helps glue the whole thing together. Plus it’s an excuse for more peanut butter!
From there you can stack in any order, just make sure the banana covers the whole sandwich so there’s no gaps. You’ll want to lightly butter the bread, just to help fry the bread along with the bacon fat.
Process shots: butter bread (photo 1), flip (photo 2), spread peanut butter (photo 3), add banana (photo 4), add bacon (photo 5), add more peanut butter and bread butter side up (photo 6).
Toasted Elvis Sandwich
Whack the sandwiches in the pan and fry over medium heat until both sides are golden.
Do I have to toast the sandwich?
In short – yes. An Elvis sandwich ain’t an Elvis sandwich unless it’s toasted!
Serving The Elvis Sandwich
I usually serve this for brunch or lunch. Between you and I it’s usually after a few drinks the night before too! You don’t need any sides with this at all, it’s good to go fresh out the pan.
If you like the sound of this sandwich then make sure you check out my Nutella Peanut Butter Sandwiches!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Elvis sandwich shall we?!
How to make The Elvis Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
The Elvis Sandwich
- Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4 medium slices of Bread
- 4-6 slices of American/Streaky Bacon (2-3 per sandwich)
- 4 heaped tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 Bananas, sliced into small chunks (enough to cover the sandwich)
- Butter, as needed
- Add bacon to a large non-stick pan and fry over medium heat until both sides are crispy and the fat has rendered down. Remove bacon and leave the fat behind (discard some if more than 1tbsp or so).
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Flip them over so they're butter-side-down. Spread peanut butter over all four slices, then top two of them with banana then bacon. Place the other slice on top butter-side-up.
- Add to the pan with the leftover bacon fat and fry both sides over medium heat until golden, with the peanut butter just starting to leak out. Serve up and enjoy!
If you loved this Elvis Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!