Here I’ll show you a simple way to take your Bacon Grilled Cheese to the next level!
If there’s one thing that can make a grilled cheese better, it’s bacon. And if there’s one thing that can make a bacon grilled cheese better, well, follow me…
You know, it took me a little while to come around to candied bacon. My first experience was in America, where syrup went over the whole breakfast, and it was just too much. Still now I don’t like syrup over all breakfast items (like egg 😖), but when it comes to bacon, I’m fully sold. That sweet/salty contrast with the gorgeous caramelized texture. My god. If that isn’t what dreams are made of I don’t know what is.
When it comes to making sweet bacon, it truly couldn’t be easier. First thing you’ll want to do is whip up a simple glaze. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Maple Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Dijon Mustard
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Cayenne Pepper
This creates a gorgeous balance of flavours to compliment the salty tones of the bacon. As the bacon bakes, the glazes thickens and caramelizes.
What kind of Bacon to use?
I find a thicker cut works slightly better. I tend to use unsmoked and add smokiness with the cheese (more on this in a sec).
Do I have to make Maple Bacon for this sandwich?
If I haven’t convinced you on the glaze, you can absolutely make this bacon grilled cheese without the glaze. But, I highly recommend giving it a shot!
Process shots: add glaze ingredients to small pot (photo 1), whisk to combine (photo 2), add bacon to wire rack above a foil-lined tray (photo 3), brush both sides then bake (photo 4).
Bacon Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, bacon candied, let’s talk grilled cheese.
Best Cheese for a Bacon Grilled Cheese?
The first cheese I use is a smoked variety, something like Applewood Cheese. This compliments the bacon insanely well. For the second cheese I tend to go for a mix of cheddar and mozzarella. However, most kind of melty cheeses will work great: Monterey Jack, Brie, Gruyere to name a few.
What Bread to use?
Most varieties will work. Something like a Sourdough or White Bloomer!
Process shots: add bread butter side down (photo 1), add cheese (photo 2), add bacon (photo 3), and more cheese (photo 4), add bread butter side up (photo 5), fry both sides until golden (photo 6).
Serving a Bacon Grilled Cheese
Typically I’ll serve them as they are for brunch of lunch. If you want to go wild though you can serve them as part of a cooked breaky with some Hash Browns! If you love the maple syrup you can drizzle some extra over at the end too.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this maple bacon grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make the best Bacon Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
The Ultimate Bacon Grilled Cheese (Maple Bacon)
- Baking Tray, Aluminium Foil & Wire Rack (for baking bacon)
- Brush, Small Pot and Whisk (for glaze)
- Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Cheese Grater
- 6 slices of Bacon
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp EACH: Dijon Mustard, Balsamic Vinegar
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 4 medium slices of Bread
- 3 slices of Smoked Cheese (see notes)
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar or Mozzarella (or a mix of both)
- Butter, as needed
- Maple Glaze: In a small pot whisk together maple syrup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Glaze Bacon: Line a baking tray with aluminium foil then place a wire rack on top. Space out bacon strips on top of wire rack and brush both sides with the maple glaze.
- Bake Bacon: Bake in the oven at 350F/175C for 20-30mins or until caramelized and crispy, flipping half way. Timings will vary so just be vigilant. If the bacon begins to char before it's cooked through then turn down the heat.
- Grilled Cheese: Place two slices of bread in a pan with the heat OFF. Spread with butter then flip over so they are butter side down. Add the smoked cheese, then the maple bacon, then finish with cheddar/mozzarella. Add second slice of bread and spread with butter. Turn on heat to a medium and fry each side until golden with the cheese melted in the centre.
If you loved this Bacon Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!