If you’re a pickle lover there’s no way you won’t fall in love with this sandwich!
If you’re someone who picks the pickle out of their burger, this recipe is not for you 😂 For all my pickle fanatics, you’re in for an absolute treat. The pickle has been in the background of sandwiches for too long, and today we’re making it the star of the show. Follow me…
Bacon Pickle Grilled Cheese
What kind of Pickle to use?
Bread and Butter Pickles or Dill Pickles are both favourites, depending on which flavour you prefer. Bread & Butter Pickles are nice because they offer a sweeter contrast to the salty ingredients in this sandwich. If you’re in UK you’re looking for Cornichons or Crinkle Cut Gherkins. In all cases I recommend patting them dry to remove excess moisture.
Let there be Bacon!
Much to your surprise I’m sure, I’m adding bacon to this sandwich. It just adds another textural layer and offers that nice salty contrast to the sweet/tangy pickles.
Making a Pickle Grilled Cheese
Alongside the pickles and bacon, we’re of course adding in cheese, but I also like adding some yellow mustard and a few drops of hot sauce. These additions give a nod to a classic cheeseburger, whilst allowing the pickles to still be the star of the show.
What Bread to use?
Again, just to give it a cheeseburger feel, I normally go for medium-thick slices of sesame seeded bread. In reality though you can use any bread you fancy. Sourdough also works great because it’s sturdy and contains the filling nicely.
What Cheese to use?
I love a 50/50 combo of Cheddar and Mozzarella. I couldn’t quite bring myself to use American style cheese, but if you want to go full cheeseburger style then go for your life! Here I’ve used cheese slices, but grated cheese will work just as well.
Process shots: add bread to pan butter side down (photo 1), spread with mustard (photo 2), add cheddar (photo 3), add bacon (photo 4), add pickles and hot sauce (photo 5), top with mozzarella (photo 6), add bread butter side up (photo 7), fry both sides (photo 8).
Serving a Pickle Grilled Cheese
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Salt & Vinegar flavour brings out the flavour in the pickles!
- Side Recommendation: I love me some Crisp Fried Onions with this sandwich.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this pickle sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Pickle Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Pickle Grilled Cheese
- Large Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Baking Tray (for bacon, or you can pan fry)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Paper Towels
- 8 medium-large slices of Bread (preferably sesame seeded)
- 8 square slices of Cheddar
- 8 square slices of Mozzarella
- 8 slices of Bacon, cooked to preference
- sliced Pickles, to preference (see notes)
- 4 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce (optional)
- Butter, as needed
- Pat pickles dry with papers towels to remove excess moisture.
- Butter one side of each of your slices of bread. Flip then spread with a very thin slather of mustard. Top 4 of the slices with cheddar, then bacon, followed by sliced pickle, followed by a few drops of hot sauce (optional), then mozzarella slices. Top with bread (mustard-side-down, butter-side-up).
- Add to a pan over medium heat and fry both sides until golden, with the cheese starting to ooze out. You may need to do this in batches. Enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Pickle Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!