This grilled cheese sandwich is loaded with quick and easy homemade pickled onions!
Cheese and pickled onion is a match made in heaven, and we’re here today to celebrate that fact – in sandwich form of course 😛 Follow me…
Homemade Pickled Onions
Sure, you could use store-bought pickled onions, but making them at home is SO easy it’d be rude not to! Some recipes add in all sorts of funky ingredients to pickle the onions, but in my opinion you don’t need the faff. Vinegar, salt and sugar is all you need!
What Vinegar to use?
I like red wine vinegar. I find its flavour pairs the best with red onion and it helps turn them that gorgeous pink colour. In reality though most vinegars will work – my next recommendation is apple cider vinegar.
How long to pickle for?
I find that if you very finely slice the onion, you can get away with around 1 hour. The longer the better though!
To pickle the onions just mix the vinegar with salt and sugar, then completely cover the onions and leave until they begin to wilt and turn bright pink!
The Ultimate Pickled Onion Sandwich
Where there’s pickled onion, there’s gotta be cheese. It’s just the rules 😉
What Bread to use?
Here I’ve used Sourdough, but Italian or French style bread also work nicely.
What Cheese to use?
I like using two different cheeses. First is Cheddar, second is Gruyere. In reality though most cheese pairs beautifully with pickled onions!
Process shots: add bread to pan butter side down (photo 1), add cheddar (photo 2), add pickled onions (photo 3), add gruyere (photo 4), add bread butter side up (photo 5), turn on heat and fry both sides (photo 6).
Serving a Cheese and Pickled Onion Sandwich
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: I’d steer away from Salt & Vinegar flavour as the sandwich is already fairly acidic. I’d also avoid Cheese & Onion unless you love onion. I personally like either Prawn Cocktail or Smoky Bacon with this sandwich.
- Side Recommendation: Coleslaw goes nicely, or some Sweet Potato Wedges to balance out the tang with some sweetness!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this pickled onion grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Pickled Onion Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Pickled Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Jar or Small Bowl (for pickled onions)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- 1 cup / 240ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 medium Red Onion, very finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 small-medium slices of Bread (here I use Sourdough)
- 4 square slices of Cheddar
- 5oz / 150g Gruyere, grated (see notes)
- Butter, as needed
- Pickled Onions: In a jar or small bowl combine vinegar with salt and sugar. Add in finely sliced onion, give it a shake/mix then leave to pickle for at least an hour, or until they begin to wilt and turn pink.
- Prep Sandwich: Spread one side of each of your slices of bread with butter. Place two of them butter-side-down in a non-stick pan with the heat OFF. Top with cheddar, followed by pickled onions, then grated gruyere. Top with a second slice of bread butter-side-up.
- Cook Sandwich: Turn heat to a medium and fry both sides until golden, with the cheese nice and gooey. Prep the other two sandwiches to one side as these cook. Serve up and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
- Cheese and Onion Sandwich
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Cheese and Pickle Sandwich
- Pickle Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Pickled Onion Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!