There’s a few tips and tricks to bringing a classic chicken mayo sandwich to life and here I’ll show you exactly what they are!
A chicken mayo sandwich is an absolute classic. An OG if you will. In the past I’ve been guilty of shredding up some chicken, mixing in some mayo and calling it a day. Granted this recipe isn’t worlds away from that, but there are a few very simple steps that can turn this classic sarnie into something special. Follow me…
Without a doubt the best type of chicken to use for a chicken sandwich is boneless skin ON rotisserie chicken. You can use fresh chicken, and I’ve added a note on that in the recipe card, but cooked rotisserie chicken is much easier.
Crispy Chicken Skin
By using skin on chicken you get the opportunity ‘re-crisp’ the skin and add it to the sandwich. Not only will this add a nice bit of crispy texture to the sandwich, but it also adds gorgeous flavour too.
To make the skin crispy just peel it off the chicken and pop it in the oven at a low temp until crispy. This will render down the fat and leave the skin ultra crispy. Again, you can use fresh chicken skin and I’ve added a note on that in the recipe card.
When it comes to making the chicken mayo the number one tip is to ensure the chicken is completely cool. If you mix mayo into chicken that’s even slightly warm it’ll make the mayo go gloopy.
You really don’t need any other ingredients in the filling, but I do highly recommend a good helping of cracked black pepper. Adds a gentle kick of spice and seasons the filling nicely.
Shredded or Cubed?
I find that shredded the chicken can sometimes go a little tough when mixed with mayo. The mayo wraps around cubed chicken much better. Plus it gives you a little more texture.
Best Mayo to use?
I recommend a whole egg full fat mayo, has a much fuller flavour. Don’t muck around with reduced fat or anything, treat yourself 😁
How to make Chicken Mayo Sandwich
Again, no other fillings needed other than the ones we’ve discussed. Simplicity is key here. Just don’t forget the butter. Not only is this an easy opportunity to pack in a bit more flavour, but the butter helps stop the mayo from seeping into the bread.
What bread to use?
Because the filling is quite simple I recommend going for a nice seeded breaded just to spruce up the sandwich a little. No need to toast it, chicken mayo should always be soft bread.
Process shots: butter bread (photo 9), add lettuce (photo 10), add chicken mayo (photo 11), allow chicken skin to cool (photo 12), crunch over chicken mayo (photo 13), add second slice of buttered bread (photo 14).
Serving Chicken Mayo Sandwich
Can I make this ahead of time?
Like most sandwiches I recommend serving fresh, but you’ll get away with serving this a day in advance if tightly sealed in the fridge. You can definitely make the chicken mayo ahead of time, just stir through a dollop of mayo before serving because it tends to get soaked up by the chicken as it rests.
Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Smoky bacon flavour goes nicely with this sandwich to offer the classic chicken/bacon combo. Salt and vinegar also go nicely.
Side Recommendation: Something light like Parmesan Fries goes great!
And there we have it! All my top tips for the perfect chicken mayo sandwich. Let’s tuck into the full recipe shall we?!
How to make a Chicken Mayo Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Mayo Sandwich
- Small Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Gently pull the skin off of the chicken breasts. Place on a baking tray and pop in the oven at 180C/356F for 15-20mins, or until crispy. Timings will depend on how big the skin is and how much it was cooked beforehand, so just be vigilant. Also depending on how well the skin was originally seasoned you might want to season with salt & pepper beforehand too. When done allow to cool for 5mins, this will help it crisp up even more.
- Meanwhile, dice the chicken breasts into small cubes. Combine in a mixing bowl with mayonnaise and generous amounts of cracked black pepper. Taste a cube and adjust mayo/pepper to preference.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Top two slices with lettuce, then spoon over chicken mayo. Crush the chicken skin with your hands or a knife and sprinkle over the chicken mayo. Top with second slice of buttered bread. Slice in half and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For another delicious mayonnaise sandwich check out my Egg Mayo Sandwich!
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
Leftover Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwich
- Waldorf Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Coronation Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich