Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it – This Nutella Grilled Cheese is about to be your new favourite sandwich!
I know I know, I was sceptical at first too. BUT, I can confirm if you’re wondering ‘is Nutella and cheese good?’ the answer is – yes. Follow me…
Nutella Cheese Sandwich
Think about it – all we’re doing here is celebrating the glorious combo of sweet and salt. And then me being me and this blog being this blog, we’re turning it into a sandwich, obviously 🤣
What Cheese to use?
I did test this with a few different cheeses and found that by a country mile, the best cheese to use was Brie. When testing I found milder cheeses worked much better to create a more subtle contrast to the chocolate. The added bonus of brie is that its texture allows it to melt and mingle in with the Nutella as the sandwich cooks. It creates this gorgeous marble effects which helps marry the flavours together nicely.
Can I sub a different Cheese?
I 100% recommend using brie for the above reasons. If you’ve conquered that, I’d recommend moving towards other milder cheeses such as mild cheddar or mozzarella.
Do I have to remove the rind from the Brie?
I never remove the rind, just because it’s so much hassle to try and do so & you end up losing half the brie! Once it’s all melted in the centre you won’t notice it.
Process shots: add bread butter side down to pan with the heat off and spread with Nutella (photo 1), add brie (photo 2), add bread butter-side-up and Nutella-side-down (photo 3), fry both sides until golden (photo 4).
What Bread to use?
Because the filling is so gooey, you want a nice firm loaf like a Sourdough to keep the filling nicely contained.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this Nutella Grilled Cheese shall we?!
How to make a Nutella Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Nutella Grilled Cheese
- Bread Knife & Chopping Board
- Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- 8 small but fairly thick slices of Sourdough (or other firm bread)
- 1x 9oz/250g round block of Brie, sliced into 12 wedges
- 8 tbsp Nutella
- Butter, as needed
- Butter one side of each of your slices of bread. Flip over so they're butter-side-down and spread with Nutella (around 1 tbsp per slice). Top half of them with brie (3 slices each), then add the other slice nutella-side-down/butter-side-up.
- Add to a non-stick pan over medium heat and fry both sides until golden, with the cheese just starting the leak out. You may need to do this in two batches.
Your Private Notes:
Love Nutella? Check out my Nutella Peanut Butter Sandwich!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Sweet and Savoury Sandwiches
- Brie Grilled Cheese
- Turkey Cranberry Grilled Cheese
- Elvis Sandwich
- Brie, Bacon & Blackberry Grilled Cheese
- Apple Grilled Cheese