Here I’ll show you the easiest and tastiest way to make a Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese!
Think cheesy garlic bread, but just taken up a level. Alright maybe a few levels. Follow me 😋
One of the key components of this sandwich is indeed the garlic butter. It’s ridiculously easy to make and perfect to whip up ahead of time. Here’s what you’ll need:
Garlic Butter Ingredients
- Garlic – You ideally want to mash the garlic into a paste. I find by just finely dicing it you leave it prone to burning on the direct heat of the pan. To mash the garlic I finely grate it then use the blade of my knife to rub/mash it.
- Butter – Slightly softened and preferably salted!
- Parsley – Fresh and very finely diced.
Process shots: add ingredients to small bowl (photo 1), mash until smooth (photo 2).
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
When it comes to making the sandwich, it honestly couldn’t be easier. I find the garlic butter stretches perfectly to 3 medium-large sandwiches.
What Cheese to use?
Mozzarella is the classic option for cheesy garlic bread, however I also like to sneak in some parmesan too, just for an extra punch of flavour!
Low ‘n’ Slow!
It’s key to fry the grilled cheese over a fairly low heat. This will allow the cheese to melt at the perfect rate the bread toasts. The lower heat will also prevent the garlic and parsley from burning!
Process shots: add bread to pan and spread with garlic butter (photo 1), flip over (photo 2), add mozzarella (photo 3), add parmesan (photo 4), add bread and spread with butter (photo 5), turn on heat and fry both sides until golden (photo 6).
Serving Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
I usually serve this in 3 different contexts:
- With Tomato Soup or Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
- In replacement for garlic bread with some pasta
- When I’m craving cheesy garlic bread!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this garlic bread grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
- Small Pot (for garlic butter)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Large Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Fine Cheese Grater
- 6 medium-large slices of Bread (White Bloomer or Sourdough work great)
- 6 square slices of Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup / 30g freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp / 60g / 2oz Butter
- 1 tbsp very finely diced Fresh Parsley
- 2 cloves of Garlic, finely diced then mashed into a paste (see notes)
- In a small pot mash together butter, garlic and parsley. Place to one side.
- In a large non-stick pan add in 2-3 slices of bread (depending on pan size). Spread with garlic butter then flip over so they're butter side down. Add mozzarella, then sprinkle over parmesan. Add bread on top then spread with more garlic butter.
- Turn on heat to low-medium (keep it fairly low or the parsley will burn) and fry both sides until golden with the cheese just starting to leak out.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches then slice in half and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you like the sound of this garlic bread sandwich be sure to check these beauties:
Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Leftover Bolognese Grilled Cheese
- Italian Sausage Grilled Cheese
- Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Bruschetta Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Spaghetti Grilled Cheese
If you loved this Garlic Grilled Cheese Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!