This grilled cheese is loaded with roasted garlic and 3 different kinds of cheese!
This sandwich is one of my all-time favourite ways to use roasted garlic. Whether you’ve never roasted garlic before or you’re a regular roaster, there’s no way you won’t fall in love with this grilled cheese. Follow me…
Sure, garlic is great, but roasted garlic is just so much better. When you roast garlic low and slow it completely transforms the flavour AND texture:
- Flavour – the garlic turns from a fairly sharp, pungent flavour to a gorgeous sweet and nutty flavour. You wouldn’t want to eat raw garlic, but roasted garlic is mellow enough to eat straight out of the skin.
- Texture – when you roast garlic it turns super silky and sticky. It’s soft enough to spread!
How do you roast garlic?
All you need to do is expose the cloves and drizzle with a little oil, then wrap in foil and roast for around an hour. From there I like to squeeze out the garlic and mash it with a pinch of salt, just to smooth it out.
Process shots: slice off tip of the bulb (photo 1), drizzle with oil (photo 2), add to foil (photo 3), wrap then roast (photo 4), unwrap foil (photo 5), squeeze out garlic and mash with fork and salt (photo 6).
Garlic Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, roasted garlic done and dusted, let’s talk grilled cheese.
What Cheese to use?
I actually like a combination of 3 different kinds of cheese for this sandwich:
- Gruyere – its sweet and nutty flavour complements the sweet and nutty tones of the roasted garlic.
- Mozzarella – classic pairing for cheesy garlic bread and gives a nice cheese pull.
- Cheddar – adds a punch of flavour, which is needed as the other two kinds of cheese are quite mellow.
What Bread to use?
Here I’ve filmed with Tiger Bread, but something firm like a Sourdough also works well.
Process shots: spread butter on bread (photo 1), flip (photo 2), spread with roasted garlic (photo 3), add cheese (photo 4), and bread and butter (photo 5), fry (photo 6).
Serving Roasted Garlic Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this roasted garlic grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Roasted Garlic Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Roasted Garlic Grilled Cheese
- Aluminium Foil
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Non-Stick Pan & Flipper/Turner
- Cheese Grater
- 2 large bulbs of Garlic
- 8 medium slices of Bread (Tiger bread, Sourdough etc)
- 1 cup / 100g EACH: Cheddar, Gruyere, Mozzarella (see notes)
- drizzle of Olive Oil
- pinch of Salt
- Butter, as needed
- Prep Garlic: Slice off the very tip of the garlic bulbs to expose all the cloves, then drizzle with olive oil (around 1 tsp per bulb will do the trick).
- Roast Garlic: Individually wrap in foil then place in the oven at 180C/350F for 45-60mins, or until knife tender, deep golden and caramelized. Don't be tempted to crank up the temp; low and slow is the aim of the game.
- Mash Garlic: Leave for a few minutes to cool down, then peel away the outer layers. Squeeze out as much of the garlic as you can onto a chopping board. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt then mash with a fork, just to smooth out any firm bits.
- Prep Grilled Cheese: Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter, and the other side with roasted garlic. Top four of the roasted garlic sides with cheese, then place another slice on top butter-side-up.
- Fry Grilled Cheese: Add to a pan over medium heat and fry both sides until crisp & golden with the cheese nice and gooey in the centre. You may need to do this in two batches.
- Gruyere - its sweet and nutty flavour compliments the sweet and nutty tones in the roasted garlic.
- Mozzarella - classic pairing for cheesy garlic bread and gives a nice cheese pull.
- Cheddar - adds a punch of cheesy flavour, which is needed as the other two types of cheese are quite mellow.
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Roasted Garlic Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!