Here I’ll show you 3 easy and delicious ways to turn a hot cross bun into a sandwich!
Wondering what can you put on hot cross buns? Well, today we’ll be discussing what you can put IN your hot cross buns. Yep, hot cross buns make the perfect sandwich and today we’re tucking into my 3 favourite ways to load them up. Follow me…
1. Hot Cross Bun S’mores Sandwich
S’mores are such a treat, and the hot cross bun really takes them to the next level. This is an awesome option if you’re feeding a crowd because you can make a load simultaneously. Plus, you only need two ingredients – marshmallows and chocolate!
Process shots: halve bun (photo 1), toast under grill (photo 2), add marshmallows and chocolate (photo 3), toast again then squash together (photo 4).
2. Hot Cross Bun Bacon Sandwich
Stick with me on this one, it makes total sense, promise. The salty bacon makes an awesome contrast to the sweet bun. Plus, pork in general pairs perfectly with the spices and fruit in the bun. Lastly, the crispiness of the bacon makes the perfect filling for the soft buns.
I also like a drizzle of maple syrup in this, just to really bring it to life. But that’s totally optional.
Process shots: melt butter in pan (photo 1), add bacon (photo 2), fry then remove (photo 3), toast buns (photo 4), add bacon to bun (photo 5), drizzle with maple syrup (photo 6).
3. Hot Cross Bun Ice Cream Sandwich
This one is for my sweet tooths out there. We’ve got Nutella, topped with ice cream then finished with crushed mini eggs. No, calories don’t count on Easter 😂
Process shots: crush mini eggs (photos 1&2), slice bun (photo 3), top with Nutella (photo 4), top with ice cream (photo 5), top with crushed mini eggs (photo 6).
How to make Hot Cross Bun Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Hot Cross Bun Sandwiches (3 ways!)
- Baking Tray (for s'mores sandwich)
- Frying Pan & Tongs (for bacon sandwich)
- Zip Lock Bag & Rolling Pin (for ice cream sandwich)
- 1 Hot Cross Bun, halved
- 6 small Marshmallows, or enough to cover the bun
- 6 squares of Milk Chocolate, or enough to cover the bun
- 2 slices of Back Bacon
- 1 knob of Butter
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup (optional)
Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1 large scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- 1 handful Mini Eggs
- Add the hot cross bun halves to a baking tray. Place under the grill until lightly crisp.
- Top one half with marshmallows and the other with chocolate. Place back under the grill until the chocolate just begins to melt and the marshmallows lightly char (careful, this will happen quickly, so keep an eye on them).
- Remove from under the grill, then quickly & carefully squidge the two halves together.
- Add a knob of butter to a pan over medium heat. Add in the bacon and fry both sides until your desired texture.
- Remove from pan then toast the hot cross buns in the leftover fat/butter.
- Sandwich the bacon between the toasted buns with a drizzle of maple syrup (optional).
Ice Cream Sandwich
- Add mini eggs to a zip lock bag, squeeze out the air and zip it up. Bash with a rolling pin until roughly crushed.
- Spread the bottom half of your bun with Nutella, then add a scoop of ice cream. Use the scooper/spoon to gently flatten the ice cream, then sprinkle with crushed eggs.
- Add the top bun on then enjoy.
Your Private Notes:
If you loved these Hot Cross Bun Sandwich Recipes be sure to Pin them for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Leave a Reply