This BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich is insanely delicious and so easy to make!
As grilled cheese recipes go, this is definitely one of the more simple ones. It requires few ingredients and it’s perfect to customize! Great when you’re starving for lunch and the cheese craving hits. Which for me is essentially every meal 😂
For the BBQ chicken you’ll want to use cooked chicken. Whether that’s buying a cooked rotisserie chicken, using up leftover chicken you’ve got on hand or cooking up chicken specifically for the reason of shredding it (more on this in the recipe card). Alongside the chicken you’ll need BBQ sauce, pickled jalapeños and red onion.
What BBQ Sauce to use?
You can really use any variety you like (sweet, smoky, spicy etc). In all cases just make sure it’s a quality brand as it does make up the bulk of flavour.
What else can I add to a BBQ Chicken Sandwich?
You can sub the red onion for spring onion if you prefer that flavour. Bacon is always welcome. Fresh Coriander/Cilantro also works nicely!
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yup! Just tightly cover in the fridge until needed, then bring to room temp before using. The length of time it lasts in the fridge depends on how long you had your chicken leftover for. Chicken made on the day will last 2-3days.
Process shots: shred chicken (photo 1), add red onion & jalapeño (photo 2), add BBQ sauce (photo 3), stir to combine (photo 4).
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese
What Bread to use?
You want something sturdy like a Sourdough, just to help contain the filling. Tiger bread (UK) also works nicely. In all cases make sure you’re using thick slices. You can either make 2 giant grilled cheese sandwiches or 4 small.
What Cheese to use?
I use a combo of Monterey Jack and Cheddar, which both work perfectly here.
Process shots: butter bread and add face down in cold pan (photo 1), add cheese (photo 2), add BBQ chicken (photo 3), add more cheese (photo 4), add bread, butter then turn on heat (photo 5), fry both sides (photo 6).
Serving BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese
Crisp/Chip Recommendation: A tangy salt & vinegar goes well the sweetness and spice in this sandwich.
Side Recommendation: Some Individual Nachos goes beautifully with this sandwich!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this BBQ chicken grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Large Frying Pan & Turner/Spatula
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4 large or 8 small thick slices of Sourdough, Tiger or Giraffe Bread (UK)
- 2 packed cups / 250g-300g Cooked Chicken, shredded (see notes)
- 2/3 cup / 160g Good Quality BBQ Sauce, or to preference
- 4 square slices of Monterey/Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 square slices of Cheddar (or second cheese of choice)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup finely diced Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Pickled Jalapeños, finely diced (or to spice preference)
- Butter, as needed
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine chicken, BBQ sauce, jalapeños and red onion. Place to one side.
- In a large pan with the heat OFF add two slices of bread. Butter one side, then flip so they're butter-side-down. Top with two slices of Monterey Jack, half your chicken, followed by two slices of cheddar. Add another slice of bread, butter the tops then turn on heat to a medium.
- Fry both sides until nice and golden with the cheese melting through the centre. If you're making two giant ones be careful when you flip or the filling with spill out. Slice in half and enjoy!
If you loved this BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!