This Chorizo Grilled Cheese is loaded with so much flavour – better still, it couldn’t be easier to make!
If you love the combo of chorizo and cheese this sandwich is absolutely for you. It’s not just chorizo and cheese though, we’ve got a few other things going on too. Follow me…
Whilst you could just add regular cured chorizo into the sandwich and be done with it, we’re actually going to dice it up and fry it first. I find that big bits of chorizo in a sandwich tend to completely come out in one mouthful because it’s fairly chewy. By dicing it up and frying it you not only intensify the flavour, but you give it a nice crispy texture AND avoid big chunks of chorizo in the sandwich.
Alongside the diced chorizo we’re also going to be adding in some onion, jalapeño and garlic, just for some added flavour!
Can I use raw chorizo instead of cured?
Most chorizo in UK supermarkets is cured, but if you can get yourself some raw chorizo then you can certainly use that! Just fry it up and crumble it as you would ground beef.
Process shots: add onion, jalapeño and garlic to oil (photo 1), fry to soften & lightly brown (photo 2), add in chorizo (photo 3), fry until crisp (photo 4).
Chorizo Grilled Cheese
Alrighty, chorizo to one side, let’s talk grilled cheese.
What Cheese to use?
My preference is using Monterey Jack and Mozzarella. They’re both fairly mellow and mild, which allows the chorizo to shine. I fear strong cheeses may overpower the sandwich, but you can certainly experiment around! Most melty cheeses will work just fine 🙂
One addition I highly recommend adding to this sandwich is avocado. Not only does it compliment the flavour profile of both the cheese and chorizo, but it’s also got a smooth and creamy taste which balances out the intense tones of the chorizo. If you don’t like avocado you can leave it out and it’ll still be delish, but if you do I recommend adding it for sure.
Process shots: add bread butter side down then add Monterey Jack (photo 1), add chorizo (photo 2), add avocado (photo 3), add mozzarella (photo 4), add bread butter side up (photo 5), fry both sides (photo 6).
Serving a Chorizo Grilled Cheese
These are pretty darn hearty, so I tend to serve them as they are. But you could go wild and add something on the side:
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Sweet Chilli Sensations for an extra hit of spice or some Cool Original Doritos to tone things down.
- Side Recommendation: Some Sweet Potato Wedges balance out the salty/spice nicely. Some Coleslaw is great for a balanced flavour too!
Love Chorizo? Check out my Easy Chorizo Sandwich!
Love Avocado just as much? Check out my Avocado Grilled Cheese!
Alrightly, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chorizo grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make a Chorizo Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Chorizo Grilled Cheese
- Large Non-Stick Pan & Spatula/Turner
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Paper Towels
- 1/2lb / 250g Chorizo, diced (see notes)
- 1 small White Onion, finely diced
- 2 Jalapeños, deseeded & finely diced
- 1 clove of Garlic, finely diced
- Olive Oil, as needed
- 8 medium-large slices of Bread
- 8 square slices of Monterey Jack
- 1 cup / 100g Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 small Avocados, halved & sliced
- Butter, as needed
- In a large pan over medium heat add a splash of olive oil alongside onion, jalapeño and garlic. Fry until they soften, then add in chorizo and continue frying until the chorizo begins to crisp. Remove everything from the pan and rest on paper towels. Wipe out pan.
- Spread one side of each of the slices of bread with butter. Flip half over them over so they're butter-side-down. To those slices, add Monterey Jack, followed by chorizo, then sliced avocado and finish with mozzarella. Add bread on top butter-side-up.
- In two batches, add sandwiches to the pan over medium heat and fry both sides until golden with the cheese melted in the centre.
If you loved this Chorizo Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!