This chorizo sandwich is quick, easy to make and bursting with flavour. Perfect for a tasty no fuss lunch!
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite sandwiches. There, I said it. As someone who runs a sandwich blog I really should be impartial, but I’ve just polished off my 3rd one of these as I type, and sweet Jesus they’re good. With just 6 ingredients I’m confident this will be a firm favourite for you too! Follow me…
The Ultimate Chorizo Sandwich
What kind of Chorizo to use?
Regular cured Spanish Chorizo works great. I tend to peel away the outer layer as it can be quite tough unless the chorizo is cooked. The chorizo will lightly cook because the sandwich is toasted in the oven, but not enough to break down the casing.
Can I use Ground Chorizo?
You can yes, but you’ll most likely have to cook this beforehand. Just check if it’s raw chorizo or ready to eat. Fry in a pan until crispy then you’re good to go!
What bread to use?
I love a ciabatta roll for this sandwich. Regular sandwich bread or rolls just don’t cut the mustard here. As the chorizo heats the oils seep into the ciabatta holes. Its light, crusty texture works perfectly with the cheesy chorizo.
What cheese goes with chorizo?
Chorizo is already packed with flavour, so when it comes to the cheese I like to keep it more subtle. As such I recommend going for fresh mozzarella. Its creamy flavour compliments the chorizo without overpowering.
Process shots: slice ciabatta roll (photo 1), fold open (photo 2), add sliced chorizo (photo 3), top with mozzarella (photo 4), add to baking tray (photo 5), broil/grill to melt cheese (photo 6).
Chorizo Sandwich Filling
Once you’ve lightly toasted/melted the cheese, you’ll want to throw in some extra goodies. For me it’s gotta be fresh tomato, rocket/arugula and pesto mayonnaise. The pesto mayo is the secret weapon here. Really takes the sandwiches from a 10 to an 11 😋
What can I add to a chorizo sandwich?
For me it’s already the perfect combo. But if you’re after some extra goodies consider any of these:
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Onion
Do I have to toast this?
You can just make the sandwich without melting/toasting the cheese. It’ll still taste delicious, you just miss out on the melty texture of the cheese and toasty texture of the ciabatta.
Process shots: take sandwich off of baking tray (photo 1), add tomato slices (photo 2), add rocket/arugula (photo 3), spread pesto mayo (photo 4).
Serving a Chorizo Sandwich
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Prawn cocktail actually works really nicely here!
- Side Recommendation: Sweet Potato Wedges balance out the spice/saltiness of this sandwich so beautifully. They are great for scooping up any pesto mayo that spills out quite nicely too 🤪
Looking for something a little more cheesy? Check out my Chorizo Grilled Cheese!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chorizo sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Chorizo Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
- Large Baking Tray
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4x 6" Ciabatta Rolls (or similar size)
- 7oz / 200g Chorizo, sliced
- 2x 4.5oz/125g balls of Fresh Mozzarella (see notes)
- 4 tbsp Pesto Mayo (see notes)
- 4 small Tomatoes, sliced (3-4 slices per sandwich)
- 4 pinches of Rocket/Arugula
- Slice open ciabatta rolls then add chorizo slices to one side. Top with mozzarella then place on a baking tray.
- Grill/broil until the mozzarella begins to melt. If the ciabatta side starts to char before the mozzarella melts cover that side with foil.
- Once cool enough to handle, top mozzarella with tomato slices and finish with a pinch of rocket/arugula. Spread pesto mayo on the ciabatta side, then fold over and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Chorizo Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Completely delicious! Yum!
Thanks Annabelle! 🙂
Not only is the recipe a popular one but the way you have presented it makes it so accessible. Lots of tips and easy to follow.
These look awesome….I bet they are crazy delicious! I love how easy it is too, can’t wait to make some this weekend. Beautiful pic too!
We love chorizo, but usually just have it in pasta. This looks delicious.
This sandwich was EPIC and so flavorful! Loved it!
I just bought some chorizo and was looking for a recipe to use it. Now I found it!!