If you’ve never put avocado in a grilled cheese before you’re missing out. This is about to be your new favourite brunch!
The Ultimate Avocado Sandwich
Step aside avocado on toast, there’s a new brunch in town. To those of you thinking ‘Does avocado go well with cheese?’ the answer is yes. Always yes. And we all know avocado goes on toast, so why not shove the whole thing together? Okay don’t answer that 😝
Smashed or sliced?
A lot of avocado grilled cheese recipes actually mash the avocado, but today we’re gonna finely slice it. Reason being it I find it gives the sandwich a bit more stability and texture.
When it comes to the perfect avocado you want it ripe, but not bruised. If you push the avocado it should be ever-so-slightly soft. The pip at the top should come out easily. Under-ripe avocados tend to have a green skin, whereas more riper avocados have darker skins.
Process shots: rest avocado on flat surface (photo 1), halve (photo 2), remove stone then peel skin (photo 3), thinly slice (photo 4).
Avocado Grilled Cheese
What Bread to use?
Something nice and firm, just to counteract the soft filling. Here I’ve used a firm White Bloomer, but Sourdough also works great. You want fairly small slices, roughly the size of the sliced avocado. I also recommend getting a seeded bread if you can, here I’ve used a poppy seeded loaf, but sesame seeds also work great! Just for a little added texture and flavour.
What Seasoning to use?
Avocado is great, but ONLY when it’s properly seasoned. Here I sprinkle over some Flaky Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper and Chipotle Flakes. The chipotle flakes add a nice smoky, spicy flavour, which the avocado takes on really well. If you’ve only got regular chilli flakes you can use them.
What Cheese to use?
Here I use Monterey Jack and a nice Sharp Cheddar.
Process shots: add bread to pan butter side down with heat off (photo 1), add Monterey Jack (photo 2), add avocado (photo 3), sprinkle over seasoning (photo 4), add Cheddar (photo 5), add buttered bread then turn on heat and fry both sides (photo 6).
Serving an Avocado Grilled Cheese
It’s great by itself, but in my opinion it invites itself so well to a runny yolk! A fried or poached egg will do the trick. I usually serve this for brunch on the weekend.
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Something sturdy to mop up the egg. Salt and Vinegar flavour works nicely!
- Side Recommendation: Gotta be a portion of Hash Browns.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this avocado grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make an Avocado Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Medium Sized Pan & Spatula
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 1 medium Avocado, ripe but not bruised
- 4 small but fairly thick slices of Bread (see notes)
- 2-3 square slices of Monterey Jack
- 2-3 square slices of Cheddar
- 2 large pinches of Flaky Sea Salt, to taste
- 2 large pinches of Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 large pinches of Chipotle Flakes (see notes)
- 2 poached or fried Eggs, to serve (optional)
- Prep Avocados: Use a sharp knife to carefully halve the avocado. Place on a flat surface then hit the stone with the blade of your knife. Carefully twist the stone out of the avocado, then peel both halves. Slice into thin strips then place to one side (see video for reference).
- Prep Grilled Cheese: Butter one side of each of your slices of bread. Place two slices butter-side-down in a pan with the heat OFF. Top with Monterey Jack, followed by avocado slices. Season the avocado with a good pinch of salt, pepper and chipotle flakes, then top with cheddar.
- Fry: Place two slices of bread on top butter-side-up. Turn the heat to a medium and fry both sides until the bread it crisp & golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve: Serve with fried/poached egg and mop up that yummy egg yolk!
If you loved this Avocado Grilled Cheese recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!