This Cajun Chicken Avocado Sandwich is loaded with so much flavour. Plus, it couldn’t be easier to make!
We know chicken and avocado is already a glorious combo. But you chuck some spicy cajun seasoning in the mix things get real good real quick. Follow me…
The ULTIMATE Chicken Avocado Sandwich!
Before we get to the ins and outs of the sandwich, let’s take a quick look at the chicken itself. For this recipe we’re going with chicken breast, just because that’s what more traditionally used in Cajun chicken sandwiches. You could use chicken thigh, but what’s most important is you use boneless/skinless meat.
Pound the Chicken
I find pounding the chicken evens the meat out more efficiently, which in turn helps it cook through evenly. But it also helps tenderize the meat, meaning it comes out nice and soft once cooked.
To pound the chicken all you need is cling film and a rolling pin, mallet or even a heavy pan! Some pent up anger always helps too 😂
Process shots: lay chicken on chopping board (photo 1), rest over cling film (photo 2), pound until even thickness (photo 3), remove cling film (photo 4).
Cajun Chicken Marinade
To inject the chicken with flavour you’ll want to marinate it. Here’s what you’ll need for the marinade:
- Cajun Seasoning – You’ll find this in most stores. In the UK a lot of stores also stock ‘smoky’ cajun seasoning which works really nicely!
- Olive Oil – To help bind the marinade and keep it from sticking to the pan when it’s ready to fry.
- Lime Juice – Helps tenderize the chicken and also adds flavour.
- Salt & Pepper – Adds another layer of seasoning to avoid the risk of bland chicken!
How long to marinate for?
Best is 4+ hours up to overnight. If you’re pushed for time even just 15-20mins will do the trick, or even as you prep the other ingredients.
Process shots: add marinade ingredients to shallow bowl (photo 1), whisk with fork (photo 2), add chicken (photo 3), fully coat then cover and marinate (photo 4).
Grilled Cajun Chicken
I recommend using a griddle pan if you’ve got one, just so you can add some smoky grill marks without drying out the chicken. A heavy bottom pan or cast iron skillet will work just fine though. The main thing is getting a nice bit of char on both sides. The spicy seasoning takes on a bit of char so well!
I love adding a slice of Monterey Jack once you’ve fried one side. In reality you can use any cheese you fancy though. Cheddar and Swiss both work nicely!
Process shots: add chicken to hot pan (photo 1), fry then flip (photo 2), add cheese (photo 3), fry until cooked then remove & repeat (photo 4).
Cajun Chicken Sandwich
When it comes to the sandwich I tend to keep the fillings somewhat reserved, just to allow the chicken to do the talking.
One of the key fillings is of course the avo. I recommend just lightly smashing it (not mashing it into oblivion) just to keep a bit of texture. I also recommend seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper, and squeezing a few drops of lime juice over, just to liven up the flavour.
What Bread to use?
I love using toasted ciabatta rolls here. The firmer texture helps contain the soft fillings of the sandwich. To toast the rolls just add to a hot dry pan until lightly charred, or place underneath the grill and broil.
Process shots: toast ciabatta (photo 1), top with avo (photo 2), add chicken (photo 3), followed by red onion (photo 4), top with tomato (photo 5), finish with ciabatta with mayonnaise (photo 6).
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: Smoky Bacon flavour crisps work nicely here, just to enhance to smoky tones of the grilled chicken!
- Side Recommendation: Some Nachos go well or sweeten things up with some Sweet Potato Wedges!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this cajun chicken avocado sandwich sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Cajun Chicken Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Cajun Chicken Avocado Sandwich
- Rolling Pin/Mallet & Cling Film (for pounding chicken)
- Griddle Pan & Tongs (or cast iron skillet/regular frying pan)
- Large Shallow Bowl or Zip Lock Bag (for marinating)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4x 150g/5oz Chicken Breasts
- 4 square slices of Monterey Jack (see notes)
- 2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls, toasted (see notes)
- 1 large Red Onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 small Avocados, halved
- 4 small Tomatoes, sliced into thin round
- 4 tbsp Mayo
- squeeze of Lime Juice (for avocado)
- Salt & Pepper (for avocado)
- Pound Chicken: Lay a chicken breast on your chopping board and cover with cling film (pinch around edges so no moisture escapes). Pound until even thickness, but not so thin it starts breaking apart. Around 1/2" is fine. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Marinade: In a shallow bowl or the base of a zip lock bag, use a fork to whisk together cajun seasoning, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add in chicken breasts and combine until they're all completely covered with the marinade. Marinate for as long as you have time for (up to overnight). If you're pushed for time just rest at room temp as you prep the other ingredients.
- Grill Chicken: Bring chicken to room temp if marinated in fridge, then add to a griddle pan over medium high heat. Fry until it begins to char (3-4mins), then flip, add cheese and continue frying until charred on the second side and white through the centre.
- Sandwich: Use a fork to lightly smash half an avocado per sandwich onto the base slice of your ciabatta. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, then give a gentle squeeze of lime juice. Top with chicken, then onion, then tomato. Finish by spreading mayo over the top slice of the ciabatta. Plonk it on top and enjoy!
If you loved this Spicy Chicken Avocado Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!