This sandwich is loaded with roasted broccoli, crispy bacon and a dreamy cheese sauce!
I’m sure when someone says ‘broccoli sandwich’ you get visions of wet soggy broccoli shoved between two slices of flimsy bread. I’m here to change that. I know it sounds like an odd concept, but I promise this about to be one of your new favourite sandwiches – broccoli lover or not!
One of the key steps in making this sandwich so delicious is roasting the broccoli. Roasting the broccoli has two advantages:
- Flavour – Roasted broccoli offers so much flavour that boiling/steaming just can’t provide. The edges of the florets ever-so-slightly char, which gives the broccoli a very gentle smoky flavour. When you roast broccoli you also inject flavour through the seasoning (salt, pepper & garlic).
- Texture – Roasting the broccoli gives it a gorgeous, crispy texture. Nobody wants wet broccoli inside a sandwich from boiling it!
Alongside the broccoli, I also chuck in some diced bacon too. Mainly because broccoli + crispy bacon = 🤤. But also because the bacon fat gets sucked up by the broccoli and inject a ton of flavour!
Process shots: combine broccoli, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil, then dot over diced bacon (photo 1), roast until crispy/for tender (photo 2).
Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
When I first started playing around with this recipe, I went down the grilled cheese route (i.e a regular grilled cheese with the roasted broccoli/bacon thrown in too). Turned out a little dry and slightly underwhelming.
Then it hit me – DUH! Broccoli cheese is one of my all time favourite side dishes, so why not transform that into a sandwich? The thick, cheesy sauce drizzled on top of the roasted broccoli is where it’s at!!
What Cheese to use?
I usually stick with the classic Cheddar, but something like Gruyere also works really well.
Process shots: melt butter (photo 1), stir in flour (photo 2), whisk in milk (photo 3), stir in cheese, dijon mustard and seasoning (photo 4).
The sandwich itself is pretty straight forward from here.
What Bread to use?
In reality you can use any bread you fancy. Here I’ve gone for a classic White Bloomer. In all cases though you’ll want about medium thickness, and ensure it’s toasted!
Process shots: butter the toast (photo 1), add roasted broccoli (photo 2), drizzle over cheese sauce (photo 3), add second slice of toast (photo 4).
Serving a Broccoli Sandwich
This recipe makes 3 sandwiches. You’ll find there will most likely be some cheese sauce leftover, so just use it as a dip to dunk in your sandwich! Waste not want not and all that 😛
- Crisp/Chip Recommendation: If you can find some cracked black pepper flavoured crisps go for that! They sell kettle crisps with that flavour in the UK. Broccoli LOVES black pepper!
- Side Recommendation: Keep the roasted veggies going with a Roasted Vegetable Salad!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this broccoli sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Broccoli Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
The Ultimate Broccoli Sandwich
- Medium-Large Baking Tray (for roasting broccoli)
- Small Pot or Pan & Whisk (for cheese sauce)
- Cheese Grater
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
Roasted Broccoli Sandwich
- 6 small-medium slices of Bread, lightly toasted
- 1x 14oz/400g head of Broccoli, diced into small florets
- 2-3 slices of thick cut Bacon, diced
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove of Garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Butter, as needed
- 1 cup / 240ml Milk, at room temp
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- pinch of White Pepper
- pinch of Salt
- Roast Broccoli: On a baking tray, combine broccoli florets, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Dot over diced bacon then pop in the oven at 200C/390F for around 15-20mins, or until the broccoli is fork tender and the bacon is crispy.
- Cheese Sauce: Add butter to a pot or pan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in flour until a paste forms, then gradually add in milk, whisking as you go to avoid lumps. Add in mustard, salt & white pepper and cheddar, turn off the heat then stir until the cheese melts (be aware the sauce will thicken as it rests).
- Sandwich: Spread one side of each of the slices of toast with butter. Top with broccoli/bacon then drizzle over cheese sauce. Top with second slice of toast, slice in half and enjoy! There will most likely be leftover cheese sauce so use it as a dip 🙂
If you loved this Broccoli Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!