This Italian inspired grilled cheese takes the classic 4 cheese sauce and turns it into the most delicious sandwich imaginable.
This grilled cheese is easy to make, loaded with flavour and ooey-gooey delicious! Follow me…
Four Cheese Sauce
Four cheese sauce (aka Quattro Formaggi) is one of my all-time pasta sauces. Along with four different kinds of cheese, it’s got a base of milk and cream then seasoned with nutmeg. Today we’re just focusing on the cheese.
I’ve tried to keep the cheese selection as traditional as possible, whilst adapting them to a grilled cheese and still using cheeses you’ll easily find at the store. Here’s what I deem to be the ultimate 4 cheese sandwich combo:
- Taleggio – Fairly mellow, but gorgeously smooth and creamy. Fontina is more traditional, so use that if you fancy!
- Gorgonzola – This is quite possibly one of my all-time favourite types of cheese. You get that gorgeous blue cheese twang, without it overpowering the sandwich.
- Mozzarella – Not traditional in the pasta sauce, but works perfectly in a grilled cheese!
- Parmigiano Reggiano – Adds heaps of flavour.
Looking for subs? Check out the recipe card notes below.
4 Cheese Grilled Cheese
The filling is extra gooey, namely down to the Gorgonzola and Taleggio, which both have very low melting points. As such, you’ll want to stack them in the middle in between the Mozzarella and Parmigiano. That way the heat will reach them last, and by the time it does, the other cheeses will be on their way to melting.
When it comes to the bread, you’ll want to use something sturdy, just to contain the ultra cheesy filling. Soft sandwich-style bread is not suitable here.
Process shots: add bread to a non-stick pan butter-side-down with the heat off and add mozzarella (photo 1), add gorgonzola (photo 2), add taleggio (photo 3), add parmigiano (photo 4), add bread butter-side-up (photo 5), turn heat to medium and fry both sides until golden with cheese just melting out (photo 6).
Serving 4 Cheese Grilled Cheese
I usually let this grilled cheese sit for a minute or so, just because the filling is going to be piping hot. This also gives chance for the Gorgonzola/Taleggio to firm up slightly, just so it doesn’t pour straight out the sandwich when you take a bite! I also don’t cut the sandwich in half either, just to prevent the cheese leaking straight out.
This grilled cheese is awesome as it is, but you could serve it with some Marinated Olives on the side if you wanted.
For another Italian pasta sauce inspired grilled cheese check out my Arrabiata Grilled Cheese!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this 4 cheese grilled cheese shall we?!
How to make 4 Cheese Grilled Cheese (Full Recipe & Video)
4 Cheese Grilled Cheese
- Non-Stick Pan
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Fine Cheese Grater
- Paper Towels
- 8 medium slices of Bread (see notes)
- 5-7oz / 150-200g fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced & patted dry to remove moisture
- 7oz / 200g Taleggio, sliced into thin wedges (approx 5oz/150g without rind)
- 5oz / 150g Gorgonzola, sliced into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup / 40g freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Butter, as needed
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Flip half of them so they're butter side down. On those slices add Mozzarella, then Gorgonzola, followed by Taleggio and finish with Parmigiano. Place the other slice of bread on top butter-side-up.
- Working in batches if you need to, add the sandwiches to a non-stick pan over medium heat and fry both sides until golden, with the cheese just starting to leak out.
- I don't recommend slicing in half because the cheese will pour out, so just tuck right in!
- Taleggio - Fontina or Brie.
- Gorgonzola - Any other mild blue cheese. Dolcelatte is similar!
- Fresh Mozzarella - Use pre-sliced or grated if you need to.
- Parmigiano Reggiano - Pecorino Romano or Parmesan.
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this 4 Cheese Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!