Here I’ll show you a simple and delicious marinade to wrap around olives!
If you’re a fan of olives you’re going to LOVE this recipe. With just a handful of simple ingredients, it couldn’t be easier to spruce up a jar of olives. Follow me…
Marinated Olives Ingredients
- Olives – Here I’ve used a mix of olives, but you can use any you fancy.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This is the base of the marinade. Try and grab some good quality extra virgin olive oil if you can.
- Red Wine Vinegar – Adds a gentle tangy flavour.
- Parsley & Oregano – Other popular herbs are thyme and rosemary, but I much prefer the combination of parsley and oregano.
- Orange – You’ll just need the peel. Some recipes suggest lemon, but I find orange offers a more unique flavour that ties all the flavours in the marinade together beautifully.
- Chilli Flakes – Even if you’re not too good with spice, I recommend just a small amount to add a little heat.
- Garlic – Need I justify this?!
Marinated Olives FAQ
What kind of olives to use?
You can use any kind of olive. I typically used jarred olives in brine, but olives fresh from the Deli would work great too. Just make sure they’re not stuffed or already marinated!
Should I use pitted or unpitted olives?
I find unpitted olives (i.e. with the stone still inside) slightly more flavoursome, however, I highly recommend using pitted olives when marinating, just so the marinade can get in and around the olive.
How long should I marinate for?
I recommend a minimum of an hour, but the longer the better!
How do you store marinated olives?
If you’re marinating for longer than an hour or so I’d store them tightly covered in the fridge.
How long do marinated olives last?
Marinated olives should last just as long as jarred olives, so around 2 weeks tightly stored in the fridge.
Serving Marinated Olives
When serving marinated olives you definitely want to bring them to room temp. This will help loosen up the marinade, as olive oil can solidify in the fridge.
These olives are perfect as an Appetizer, awesome as a Side to an Italian style sandwich, or even inside a sandwich (like an Antipasto Sandwich!)
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these Marinated Olives shall we?!
How to Marinate Olives (Full Recipe & Video)
Simply Delicious Marinated Olives
- Large Shallow Dish & Whisk/Fork
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Vegetable Peeler
- 14oz / 400g Olives, pitted (see notes)
- 1/3 cup / 80ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup / 20g very finely diced Fresh Parsley
- 4 fat cloves of Garlic, peeled & cut into 3 or so slices each
- 1 Orange, peeled to around 3/4" strips with vegetable peeler
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes, or to spice preference
- In a large shallow dish whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano and chilli flakes.
- Add in olives, orange peel and garlic. Toss to combine.
- Cover and marinate for at least an hour, tossing every now and then if you can. If marinating longer than an hour, marinate in the fridge. Bring to room temp before serving so the olive oil loosens up.
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Marinated Olives Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Leave a Reply