The British pub classic turned into the most delicious sandwich imaginable!
Hunters chicken is one of my all-time favourite pub grub meals. It’s so simple, but it’s a combination that never fails! Today we’re taking things up a few notches and going sandwich-style. Follow me…
A classic hunters chicken consists of chicken breast, topped with bacon, BBQ sauce and finished with melted cheese. I keep those same classic ingredients, but instead of stacking the bacon on top of the chicken, I like wrapping the bacon around the chicken. I find the chicken comes out juicier, and it keeps everything a bit more intact. This way you can cook the chicken and bacon at the same time in the same dish too!
It’s not a deal-breaker, but I do recommend seasoning the chicken before wrapping it in bacon. Here I use smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. At the minimum, I’d recommend salt and black pepper.
Process shots: sprinkle seasoning over both sides of the chicken (photo 1), wrap in bacon (photo 2), add to skillet or baking dish (photo 3), bake until the chicken is cooked (photo 4).
Hunters Chicken Sandwich
Once the chicken is cooked, let it rest so it can retain its juices, then slice it into strips. From there, the sandwich is pretty straightforward!
What Bread to use?
I use ciabatta/panini rolls and toast them. You want something nice and firm to secure the saucy, cheesy filling.
What fillings can I add?
This sandwich is awesome with just the BBQ sauce and cheese, but I sometimes like to add some tomatoes & red onion, then top with jalapeños. Completely optional though.
What kind of Cheese to use?
The classic option is cheddar, and that’s what I usually go for, but in reality, most melty cheeses will work. Mozzarella and Monterey Jack are great options.
Process shots: add toasted ciabatta to baking tray (photo 1), top with onion and tomato (photo 2), top with sliced chicken (photo 3), pour over BBQ sauce (photo 4), sprinkle over cheese (photo 5), place under the grill to melt the cheese (photo 6).
Serving Hunters Chicken Sandwiches
For another chicken and bacon sandwich check out my Crispy Chicken and Bacon Sandwich with BBQ Mayo!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this hunters chicken sandwich shall we?!
How to make Hunters Chicken Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Hunters Chicken Sandwich
- Large Cast Iron Skillet or Baking Dish (for cooking chicken)
- Baking Tray (for grilling/broiling sandwich)
- Small Pot (for seasoning mix)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- 4x boneless skinless Chicken Breasts (no bigger than around 7oz/200g each)
- 12 slices of Streaky Bacon (smoked or unsmoked)
- 1 cup / 240ml good quality BBQ Sauce
- 1 - 1.5 cups / 100 - 150g grated Cheese (see notes)
Seasoning (see notes)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp EACH: Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper (can omit cayenne or alter to spice preference)
- 4x 6" Ciabatta/Panini Rolls, halved
- Olive Oil, for toasting rolls
- sliced Tomatoes, Red Onion, Jalapeños (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Combine chicken seasoning in a small pot. Evenly sprinkle over each side of the chicken breasts (don't rub it in too aggressively or it'll clump up).
- Wrap each breast in 3 slices of bacon, making sure the ends of the bacon are underneath the chicken (so it doesn't unravel in the oven). Place in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish and bake for 25mins, or until chicken is piping hot and white through the centre. Place chicken to one side to rest.
- Add the halved rolls to a large baking tray centre-side-up and drizzle with oil. Switch the oven to grill and pop the bread under until golden and crisp. Remove from oven, then take away the top slices and place to one side.
- Slice chicken into strips. Try and slice in between the ridges of bacon, just so it stays wrapped.
- Top toasted ciabatta with onion and tomato (if you're using it) then add on the sliced chicken. Top the chicken with BBQ sauce, then a good helping of cheese. Place back under the grill until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with jalapeños (if you're using them) then add the top slice of bread.
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Hunters Chicken Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!