Here I’ll show you the easiest and most delicious way to take your tuna sandwich to new heights!
Wondering how you can spice up a can of tuna and turn it into the most delicious sandwich imaginable? I’ve got you covered. Follow me…
Tuna takes on spice really nicely, so it’d be rude not to give this tuna sarnie a spicy twist! We’ll talk about the sandwich itself in just a sec, but first, let’s see what you’ll need for the tuna mayo:
Spicy Tuna Ingredients
- Tuna – I usually go for canned tuna chunks over flakes. I find flakes turn to mush quite easily. You can use brine, spring water or oil – won’t make a huge difference!
- Mayo – Full fat, of course.
- Sriracha – Sriracha works perfectly for the spicy aspect, not only because it pairs really well with tuna, but also because it classically goes with mayo too. It’s also got a thick consistency, which is great to avoid a wet/soggy sandwich.
- Celery – For an added bit of crunch.
- Spring Onion – For a boost of flavour.
- Salt & Pepper – To taste.
Can I sub the Sriracha for something else?
I do highly recommend using sriracha for the above reasons, but if you don’t have or like it, you could sub a different hot sauce. Just take into consideration it may have a thinner consistency and may have a different level of spice!
When it comes to making the spicy tuna, as you can imagine it couldn’t be easier. I recommend making sure you thoroughly drain the tuna, just to get rid of any liquid that may make the filling watery.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can, yes. You’ll find as it rests it starts to get a touch watery, so just give it a good mix before you use it. I also recommend getting it out the fridge 15mins or so before needed, otherwise you’ll have hot cheese on cold/lukewarm tuna!
Process shots: add ingredients to small mixing bowl (photo 1), stir to combine (photo 2).
Tuna Avocado Sandwich
Alrighty, spicy tuna done and dusted, let’s talk sandwich.
Tuna and Avocado
Just like tuna and sriracha, tuna and avocado is a glorious combo. So naturally we’re going to sneak some into this sandwich. I typically slice the avocado as opposed to mashing it, just to give the sandwich a bit more texture. I also recommend seasoning the avocado with a good pinch of salt and pepper!
What Bread to use?
Here I’ve used some Artisan bread rolls, which work well because they’re fairly firm and toast up nicely. Ciabatta also works well, as do regular burger buns. I recommend toasting the bread just to secure the filling more efficiently.
Tuna, Mayo, Sriracha, Avocado and… Cheese!? Yeah, we knew this was coming 🤣 I love popping some cheddar on top of the spicy tuna and broiling under the grill until melted. Which I guess makes this sandwich similar to a good old Tuna Melt!
Chilli Heatwave Doritos
For an added crunch to break up the soft filling AND for an extra kick of spice, I love sneaking some Doritos into this sandwich. Hey, maybe it’s the British in me, but it totally works! If crisps in sandwiches freak you out, just serve them alongside 😅
Process shots: halve and toast bread (photo 1), add avocado (photo 2), add tomato (photo 3), add spicy tuna (photo 4), add cheese (photo 5), grill/broil (photo 6), add Doritos (photo 7), add bread (photo 8).
Serving Spicy Tuna Sandwiches
I recommend serving these up right away, just so they stay nice and toastie! I usually serve these with any leftover Doritos on the side, but you could take things up a notch and whip up some Individual Nachos!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these spicy tuna avocado sandwiches shall we?!
How to make Spicy Tuna Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Spicy Tuna Avocado Sandwich
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Large Baking Tray
- 2x 5oz/145g cans of Tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup / 60g Mayo
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 large Spring Onion, finely diced
- 1 rib of Celery, finely diced
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- 4x Bread Rolls, halved & toasted (see notes)
- 4x square slices of Cheddar, or 1 cup/100g grated
- 3 Tomatoes, sliced (can omit if you don't like tomatoes)
- 2 small Avocados, halved, stoned, peeled & finely sliced (1/2 avocado per sandwich)
- 1.5oz / 40g Chilli Heatwave Doritos, or as needed (approx 5-6 per chips per sandwich)
- Salt & Pepper, as needed
- In a small mixing bowl combine drained tuna with mayo, sriracha, celery, spring onion and a pinch of salt & pepper (to taste). Place to one side.
- Add avocado to the bottom slices of the rolls and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, then spoon on the spicy tuna. Add cheese on top then add to a baking tray.
- Place under the grill and broil until the cheese melts.
- Top the melted cheese with Doritos in a circular shape, then add the top slice of bread on top. Enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
Love the combo of spice and avocado? Check out my Cajun Chicken Avocado Sandwich!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Tuna Sandwich Recipes
If you loved this Tuna Avocado Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!