This Pigs in Blankets Sandwich is the comfort food you never knew you needed!
That’s right folks, pigs in blankets aren’t just for Christmas. At least not in this house anyway. And what better way to celebrate the mighty pig in blanket than to shove it in a sandwich?! Follow me…
Pigs in Blankets
If you’re sat there wondering what pigs in blankets are, then you’re in for a treat…
What are Pigs in Blankets?
Pigs in blankets (or pigs in a blanket) have two different meanings across the world. Here in the UK they’re sausages wrapped in bacon. In other parts of the globe they’re sausages wrapped in a crescent roll or pastry.
In the UK pre-made pigs in blankets are hard to come by if it’s not Christmas, but luckily they couldn’t be more simple to make.
What kind of Sausage to use?
You’ll want to use Chipolatas. They’re the perfect size for wrapping bacon around. You could use regular sized sausages, but the sausage/bacon ratio will be off.
What kind of Bacon to use?
Streaky bacon wraps around the sausage most efficiently. Smoked or unsmoked, which ever you prefer. In general you want the bacon fairly thin so it wraps around the sausage with ease.
Process shots: lay out bacon (photo 1), add chipolata to one end (photo 2), add sage leaf (photo 3), tightly wrap and secure with tooth pick (photo 4).
The easiest way to cook pigs in blankets is to bake them. Pan frying is not only more effort, but the bacon is much more likely to unravel.
If you’ve got some sprigs of fresh rosemary lurking about, perfect. You can lay that in the base of the baking tray, and it’ll infuse its flavour into the pigs in blankets. Not a deal breaker if you don’t have it – I wouldn’t make a solo trip to the shops for it.
Process shots: lay down rosemary (photo 1), add pigs in blankets and drizzle with oil (photo 2), roast until golden and crispy (photo 3).
Pigs in Blankets Sandwich
Alrighty, piggies done, let’s talk sandwiches.
What kind of Bread to use?
I like using big soft white rolls, to counteract the crispy pigs in blankets. But any kind of thick soft white bread will do the trick.
What can I add to this sandwich?
For me, there’s only two fillings you really need:
- Cranberry Sauce – the sweet tart flavour compliments the salty bacon so beautifully.
- Gravy – where there’s pigs in blankets, there’s gravy. Yes, we’re pouring gravy in the sandwich! Make sure it’s nice and thick or it’ll seep into the bread and leave you with a soggy sandwich.
Process shots: slice roll (photo 1), spread cranberry sauce (photo 2), add pigs in blankets (photo 3), pour over gravy (photo 4).
I typically serve this on the weekends for lunch, kind of like a sausage sandwich scenario. They’re also great if you’ve got any leftovers from your roast dinner (not that there’s every any leftover pigs in blankets in this house!). The leftover gravy/cranberry sauce is great to use up though.
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this pigs in blankets sandwich shall we?!
How to make Pigs in Blanket Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Pigs in a Blankets Sandwiches
- Baking Tray & Tongs
- 12x Tooth Picks or Cocktail Sticks
- Chopping Board
- Jug (for gravy)
- Bread Knife
- 3 large soft white Rolls, halved
- 12 Chipolatas
- 12 slices of Streaky Bacon (see notes)
- 12 small Sage Leaves
- 3-6 tbsp Cranberry Sauce
- Gravy, as needed
- few large sprigs of Rosemary
- Olive Oil, as needed
- Lay a strip of bacon flat on a chopping board. Place a Chipolata at one end, then place a sage leaf on top of the Chipolata. Starting at one end, tightly roll in the bacon, then secure with a tooth pick. Repeat.
- Lay some sprigs of fresh rosemary down in a small baking tray. Add the pigs in blankets, then top with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast in the oven at 200C/400F for 30mins, or until deep golden and crispy, turning once half way. Remove toothpicks when cool enough to handle.
- Add a dollop of cranberry sauce to the rolls, then top with pigs in blankets, followed with a drizzle of gravy. Enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more British Sandwiches check out my Best of British Sandwiches Roundup!
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
- Sausage and Bacon Sandwich
- Perfect Bacon Sandwich
- Proper Sausage Sandwich
- Sausage and Peppers Sandwich
If you loved this Pigs in Blankets Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!