A cheese and onion sandwich is a British classic. Here I show you the easiest and most delicious way to make it at home!
For those of you in the UK, this tastes JUST like ones you get from the supermarket (dare I say, better 😬). For everyone else just follow me. You’re gonna love it…
Cheese and Onion Sandwich Filler
I know, can you really get much more of a pungent combo? 🤣 It’s gotta be done though. Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- Cheese – 50/50 combo of Cheddar and Red Leicester (or more cheddar, preferably red).
- Onion – Red Onion and Spring Onion. Both VERY finely diced.
- Mayo – Whole egg & full fat of course. No healthy subs for this!
- Black Pepper – A good pinch of freshly cracked black pepper works wonders in this.
Can I make this ahead of time?
If you want to save time between you crying over the chopping board from the onions and actually eating the sandwich, you can absolutely make the filling ahead of time. Just tightly seal in the fridge until needed.
Process shots: add all filling ingredients to a bowl (photo 1), stir with spatula then check for seasoning and adjust accordingly (photo 2).
Cheese and Onion Sandwich
When it comes to making the sandwich, as you can imagine it truly couldn’t be easier!
What bread to use?
Classically some form of seeded/wholemeal bread is used. However it’s not a deal breaker if all you have is white bread. In all cases just make sure it’s soft (not toasted) and in medium slices.
Let there be butter!
Certainly don’t forget the butter here. It not only adds a mild bit of flavour, but also prevents the mayo from seeping into the bread.
Process shots: slice bread (photo 1), spread with butter (photo 2), divide filling (photo 3), top with more buttered bread and slice diagonally (photo 4).
Serving a Cheese and Onion Sandwich
Typically you’d grab this as part of a meal deal in the UK, so a packet of crisps/chips is essential with this sarnie! (Salt & Vinegar for me, please).
If you want to take things up a notch you can serve as part of a soup & sandwich combo with Roasted Tomato Soup or Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this cheese and onion sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Cheese and Onion Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Cheese and Onion Sandwich
- Medium Sized Mixing Bowl & Spatula
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- 8 medium slices of Seeded Bread
- 1 cup / 100g Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup / 100g Red Leicester, grated (or more cheddar, preferably different colour)
- 2/3 cup / 160g Mayonnaise (Whole Egg, Full Fat)
- 1/2 cup / 2oz / 60g Red Onion, very finely diced/minced (or other sweet onion)
- 2 large / 1.4oz / 40g Spring/Green Onion, very finely diced
- Butter, as needed
- pinch of Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add cheese, onion, spring onion, mayo and a good pinch of cracked black pepper. Give it a good stir, then test for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Spread one side of all of your slices of bread with butter. Divide filling among 4 of those slices (spread right to the edges). Top with second slice of buttered bread, cut diagonally and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar sandwiches check out these beauties:
Classic British Sandwiches
- Cheese and Pickle Sandwich
- Cheese and Marmite Sandwich
- Coronation Chicken Sandwich
- Bacon Sandwich
- ALL British Sandwiches!
If you loved this Cheese and Onion Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Very easy to make
Now this looks like a sandwich that I might actually enjoy! To be honest, most of the store-bought are not exactly in line with my tastes, but this one looks kinda rich in flavor. I guess giving it a quick sear on a pan could work well too, what do you think? 🙂
Yes I reckon a quick sear on a pan would be delish!!
Hello from Germany! I remember having Cheese-and-onion-Sandwiches during a one-week study trip to Edinburgh in 2017 and being hooked ever since. I loved them so much, I even got one for the waiting time at the airport before our flight back home. I tried recreating them at home, but I never got them to taste quite right. Thank you so much for the recipe – it sounds like it could be the one to be as good as my memories!
Now I just need to get my hands on some Red Leicester. I am pretty sure, my boyfriend and I will live on those sandwiches for the next weeks as we are both cheese- and mayo-enthusiasts, hehe!
Kerstin, this is awesome to read. I actually live in Edinburgh, so happy you managed to get over to visit! Even more happy though you love a cheese & onion sandwich. I’m sure you’ll love this recipe just as much 🙂 Chris.x
I remember taking these sandwiches to work! It was an envy of many. Thanks for bringing back a memory.
You’re so welcome!! 🙂
I love me a good cheese sandwich but this just takes it up several notches!! I can just imagine pairing this with a favorite soup too!
Sooooo good with soup! 🙂
Well, I am not in the UK; so, to try British classic is what I would like to. 🙂 The sandwich sounds amazingly delicious. I am bookmarking for later.
Such a classic yet delicious sandwich! Everyone enjoyed this 🙂
Awesome to hear!!
These sound delicious! I like the butter trick. I can’t wait to make these.
Hope you love them 🙂