Move over beans on toast, it’s time for an easy and delicious Toasted Cheesy Baked Bean Sandwich!
If you’re not from the UK, this one may seem a little odd. In fact even if you are it still might 🤣. Look, we British love our baked beans. One of the best ways to prepare baked beans is on toast with a whole brick of cheese. A British delicacy if you will. Here I’ve just flipped that on its head and turned it into a cheesy bean toastie (grilled cheese). Intrigued? Disgusted? Hungry??? Follow me…
Sure, you could just shove some beans in between bread and be done with it, but that’s no fun 😝 Here we’re gonna fry up some bacon and incorporate that with the beans. Because, well, bacon. If you don’t have or like bacon you can skip this step.
Do you warm beans up before putting them in a toastie?
You can add beans straight in if they’re room temp, as they’ll heat through as the sandwich fries. However, I recommend cooking the beans so you can reduce down the sauce. You want them fairly thick or they’ll just spill out the sandwich and seep into the bread.
Process shots: add bacon to pan (photo 1), fry until crisp (photo 2), stir in beans (photo 3), fry for a few mins to reduce the sauce then remove and cool (photo 4).
To make the sandwich you’re essentially just making a grilled cheese. No toastie machine required!
What Cheese to use?
Where there’s beans there’s gotta be cheese – it’s just the rule! I highly recommend a classic Mature Cheddar.
If you’re anything like me you like a good few lashes of Worcestershire sauce over your cheesy beans. This is totally optional, but very much recommended!
Process shots: add bread to pan butter-side-down (photo 1), top with cheese (photo 2), top with beans and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce (photo 3), add more cheese (photo 4), add bread butter-side-up (photo 5), fry both sides until golden (photo 6).
Serving Baked Bean Sandwiches
I typically make this for breakfast or brunch! I usually serve them as they are, but if you want to take them up a notch then check out my Sandwich Sides (Hash Browns are particularly tasty with this sandwich!)
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for these baked bean toasties shall we?!
How to make Baked Bean Sandwiches (Full Recipe & Video)
Baked Bean Sandwiches
- 2 Medium Sized Pans
- Wooden Spoon
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- Cheese Grater
- 6 thick slices of Bread (see notes)
- 1x 14oz/400g can of Baked Beans
- 3.5oz / 100g Bacon, diced
- 1.5 cups / 150g Cheddar, grated
- Worcestershire Sauce, optional
- Butter, as needed
- Beans: In a medium sized pan over medium heat add your bacon. Fry until crispy with the fat full rendered, then pour in the beans. Gently simmer for 5 or so mins until the juice reduces down and the beans are fairly thick. Remove from pan to cool slightly.
- Sandwich: Spread one side of each of the slices of bread with butter, then flip 3 of them so they're butter-side-down and sprinkle with cheddar. Top with beans, add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (optional), then top with more cheddar. Add another slice of bread butter-side-up.
- Fry: Add to a pan over medium heat (you'll probably need to do this in batches). Fry both sides until golden with the cheese just starting to ooze out. Repeat then serve up and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
For more similar recipes check out these beauties:
If you loved this Baked Bean Sandwich recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!