This chicken nugget sandwich is slathered in an irresistible sauce and couldn’t be easier to make!
I have no shame in saying that I am a die-hard chicken nugget stan. Nobody’s too good for nuggets, they’ve been there your whole life and let’s face it, even a bad nugget is a good nugget! Okay, maybe some people don’t like nuggets; but if you do then today you’re in luck because we’re loading them in one of the most delicious sandwiches ever! Follow me…
Chicken Nugget Sauce
What’s a sandwich without sauce? And more importantly, what are nuggets without a sauce?! Here we’re going to whip up a really simple yet insanely tasty sauce. It’s kinda like Big Mac sauce, which you KNOW is going to pair delightfully with chicken nuggets. Let’s take a quick look at what you’ll need:
Chicken Nugget Sauce Ingredients
- Mayo – Full fat, of course.
- Ketchup – Aka Tomato Sauce in the UK.
- Mustard – I prefer Dijon, but you could use Classic Yellow Mustard if you’d prefer.
- Pickles – Aka Gherkins. These are key so don’t skip them! If you’re in the US I recommend Dill Pickles.
- Onion Powder – Could sub a small amount of very finely diced shallot or white onion.
- White Wine Vinegar – Balances out all the flavours. Can sub other white vinegar i.e rice wine or distilled white vinegar.
- Sugar & Salt – To taste.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Sure! In fact, it’ll actually help marry the flavours together. Just tightly store in the fridge until needed (stays good for 3-4 days).
Process shots: add ingredients to small bowl (photo 1), stir to combine (photo 2).
You can use your favourite nuggets here! I prefer breaded over crumbed, but that’s totally up to you. You can also sub chicken tenders or chicken dippers!
I usually cook them in the air fryer, just so you can free up the oven for toasting the bread, but just cook ’em however you fancy until piping hot and crispy.
I usually grab a cheese-coated baguette/baton, which works PERFECTLY. So I highly recommend getting cheese-crusted bread if you can. I know Sainsbury’s sells them (UK), and they’re the perfect size for halving to make two sandwiches.
If you can’t find a cheese-crusted baton, just use any sort of small baguette (around 7-8″ inches).
Toasting the bread
This is totally optional, but I love toasting the bread under the grill, just to crisp it up a little. Still awesome if you don’t though. If one side of the bread is raised higher than the other, just prop the other side up with a bit of foil, just so they toast at an even rate.
Process shots: place baguette on chopping board (photo 1), halve and open up (photo 2), add to baking tray (photo 3), toast until golden/crisp (photo 4).
Chicken Nugget Sandwich
When it comes to the sandwich itself, it’s pretty hearty so as I mentioned I recommend halving it and serving it as 2.
You’ll want to slather the sauce on BOTH sides of the bread, then keep it simple and add baby gem lettuce leaves and beef tomatoes. Just remember to season the tomatoes. This may be a chicken nugget sandwich, but those tomatoes still deserve some salt and pepper 😛
Process shots: spread sauce (photo 1), add lettuce (photo 2), add tomatoes and season (photo 3), add chicken nuggets (photo 4).
Serving Chicken Nugget Sandwiches
Tuck in right away so those nuggets stay hot and crispy. Nobody likes a soggy sandwich!
What can I serve with a Chicken Nugget Sandwich?
If you want to make this more of a meal I recommend adding some Spicy Wedges or Garlic Parmesan Fries!
Alrighty, let’s tuck into the full recipe for this chicken nugget sandwich shall we?!
How to make a Chicken Nugget Sandwich (Full Recipe & Video)
Chicken Nugget Sandwich
- Large Baking Tray (optional - for toasting baguette)
- Bread Knife
- Small Bowl & Spatula (for sauce)
- Sharp Knife & Chopping Board
- 4 tbsp Mayo
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp finely diced Pickle/Gherkin
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Sugar, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small Baguette/Baton (see notes)
- 8-10 Chicken Nuggets, cooked to packet instruction
- 3-4 Baby Gem Lettuce Leaves
- 1 Beef Tomato, sliced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional - Halve the baguette, open it out and place it on a baking tray. Place under the grill and broil until golden/crisp.
- Combine all the 'sauce' ingredients in a small bowl. Taste test for seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Slather your preferred amount of sauce on the baguette. Top one side with lettuce, then tomatoes seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper, then chicken nuggets. Fold over the top slice, then halve and enjoy!
Your Private Notes:
If you loved this Chicken Nugget Sandwich Recipe be sure to Pin it for later! Already made it or got a burning question? Give me a shout in the comments below!
Leave a Reply